Dead goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ksm041268, Jun 19, 2017.

1. ksm041268

ksm041268 Member

I woke this morning to find my 10 month old goat dead. She was very bloated foaming at the mouth. She was fine last night at 900 pm no diarrhea and was acting well last night too!!! Any suggestions for possibilities of the cause????

Porlemba PL likes this.
  2. SueBee

SueBee Well-Known Member

Sounds like some toxic plant. Check and see what you have around your place, sometimes they do eat something bad. Keep some charcoal pills on hand.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

Only a necropsy could say for sure.
    Bloating and foaming after death is common since the fermentation in the gut continues.
    One of the most common causes of sudden death is Barber Pole Worm overload.
    The symptoms don't always show until it's too late.

SueBee likes this.
  4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

It could be literally anything. Toxic plants could be on the list, but are far from my only thing on the list.

The bloat and foam is common for ruminants after death. Tracheal foam means nothing on a necropsy, and ruminants COMMONLY regurgitate after death. It's more abnormal NOT to find that. Bloating occurs rapidly after death as an animal cannot burp and the bacteria do not stop fermenting just because the animal is dead. If you must find out, a necropsy is your best bet. Your vet can do a field necropsy or you can often get a food animal necropsy done at a state veterinary lab. Food animals often have decreased costs for such a service to help support the industry. I think here at DCPAH it's about 170.00, which is cheap.

Universities and extensions often have small ruminant learning events. Our local one here in michigan does a necropsy wetlab. Extension agents may be able to teach you as well. Several veterinary diagnostic centers are starting to validate diagnostic photographs, but this is done by a vet who can identify lesions that lay people may not notice or not know how to describe a location etc.