Dead deer!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Two nights ago my dog Tippy was acting strange...wanting out real bad, so I let her. A couple minutes after I let her out I heard two shots...close to the house, and she wanted in the house ASAP! I turned the flood light on in back and all the porch lights and didn't hear another shot.

Last night my dogs kept running off and not coming when we called. One came back with blood on his nose! Today my husband went to investigate and found a dead deer on our side of the fence. It had been shot in the rump area. A very young deer.

It really burns me up that someone shot at a deer on our property and within sight of our house...I'm talking barely out of the yard!!! Hubby insists that hunters would not climb over our fence to go hunting...YEAH RIGHT!!! :no:

2. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Illegal night hunters. Poor little deer to be shot with a bad shot like that. Some people just don't care about other people's safety or are too stupid to know any better.

3. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Your husbands right, a hunter wouldn't have shot that deer on your land. But a poacher would! Please be aware of the differance.

4. Please don't get him confused with us honest hunter and fishermens. Some of us still respect the game laws and the private landowners.

5. Ravenlost

Very true! And r.h. I don't confuse the idiot poachers with the honest hunter. We have two men who hunt on the property behind us and I know for a fact that it wasn't either one of them. When we started building our house they took down all their deer stands...said they would not hunt anywhere near the house. One of them is our neighbor and the other is a neighbor's son-in-law. They are the only ones allowed to hunt back there and they are both responsible hunters. This was definitely a poacher who had no business here.

6. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

yah, it's yahoo's like that who give us a bad name-a hunter is a guy who doesn't shoot unless he;s sure of his shot-simple respect for the annimal he's intending to kill.Pitlampers and poachers should be turned in, they are criminals, not hunters.I've passed up more than one deer because I couldn't either clearly identify it[buck or doe] or there wasn't a clear shooting lane for a back of the shoulders heart/lung shot, or the deer was simply too far away to be sure of a humane kill

7. Ravenlost

Well, this one was maybe a yearling...a very small deer. Hubby just picked it up to put it in the front-end loader. It was definitely shot in the butt. I wish I'd seen whoever shot it...I'm sure they slunk off when I turned the lights on. Believe me, I would have called the sheriff's dept. or gamewarden in a heartbeat.

We put the carcass on the burn pile. Hubby said we were giving the poor deer a Viking burial.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Ravenlost.... you should have called the sheriff & the game warden. Poaching at night is very dangerous...especially so close to your home! The idiots that are doing that need to be caught.

9. Ravenlost

bgak47...I would have if I'd known at the time what was going on. Sound carries a long way here and, while I knew the shots were close, I didn't realize how close until my husband found the deer today.

I feel fortunate that I didn't go out and investigate that night. Anyone stupid enough to be hunting at night on someone else's property might have mistaken me for a deer and shot me in the hiney too!

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that you & yours came out of it OK. When I hear gunshots at night I get pretty nervous & I grab my gun & my phone.

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

You should call game warden and sheriff and set a trap using decoys if possible...they can also remove bullet from the deer you found to match the gun to the person....

12. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Could the deer have been shot further away and jumped into your yard and died. That has happened here more than once. The worst was when a deer had been hit by a car and ran into our cornfield near the house. Although we couldn't see it the smell was unbelieveble before se found it! UGH!

13. Ravenlost

Yes, that's very possible. But whoever shot the deer was not on property open to hunting...especially at night!