Dead deer mystery solved

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

It was one of the two guys who have permission to hunt on the property behind us. However, the old fellow who owns the property was not happy the guy was hunting after dark and he won't be allowed to hunt there next year. He shot two deer...both very small and young. He claims he was only shooting at ONE deer (yah, right!). One ran over onto our property and the other one ran up to the property owner's back yard. The shooter retrieved one of the deer. I think he didn't come for this one because I turned the flood light on.

:no:

2. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

As a hunter and landowner, I am glad to hear the landowner there is going to withhold hunting for that guy next year. When I have a hunter do anything stupid or unethical, they are never allowed back.

There are so many deer there is no reason to do things as you described.

3. Travlnusa wrote: There are so many deer there is no reason to do things as you described.

Trav you are absolutly right about that. I know overpopulation has been a problem longer back east then out here in Oklahoma. But there are plenty of deer and if you have any smarts to you it can be very easy to stock your deep freezer full enough without haveing to disobey the law and your neighbors. And it doesn't cost a lot compared to buying the same amount of meat from a grocery store.

4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

the telling factor was the hindquarter shot- that says whoever fired the shot didn't bother to take time to wait for a clean kill, and shouldn't be allowed to hunt on the property.Even a gut shot could be a lung shot that hitto far back, but a hindquarter shot simply isn't a result of a flinch, it's just plain not taking care and attention, nor is it repecting the animal you are intending to kill.None of us need meat that badly, that we take marginal shots.I've raised my sons to hunt, and tell each one to not pull the trigger unless you can make a one shot kill- doesn't always happen that way, but thatshould be the objective-and I use a single shot rifle-and shoot better for it-you know you only have one shot, so you take just that little extra time before you shoot .

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just glad my dogs weren't out in the back pasture, or that I wasn't out there looking for them. Could've been me or them that got shot in the butt...which is one reason he won't be allowed to hunt back there any more.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My uncle was shot in the rear once while bending over mending his pasture fence in broad daylight. Don't think they ever caught the person that did it either.

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I'll see you your uncle's butt shot and raise you...

BIL shot his sister's husband out of a pine tree. Guy was wearing an orange vest, and red and black plaid pants. BIL shot him in the butt because "I thought he looked like a bear."

There's a Thanksgiving dinner table where the conversation must have been pretty strained!