Dead Critter Trapped Under Floor

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Hi Everyone.
    We have a big problem that maybe someone out there can help us resolve. We have some kind of critter that crawled up the flex tubing
    under our house and has died in the vent. We cant get it or even see it but we heard it chewing while it was alive. The smell is unreal! What can we do to help keep the smell down while waiting for the thing to rot?? It has been dead for a few weeks but its geting worse. Of course it is right under our bedroom. We have put heavy duty plastic on all the vents .But that isnt helping. HELP!!!!!
    LIZ

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Something as small as a squirrel will smell for a few months.
    You cannot get rid of the odor if the body is there. A dead skunk will smell for years.

Deodorants are likely to be more toxic than pesticides.

I offer/advertise odor control as a business service in my pest control company. The only effective safe and quick solution is to find the critter. Fortunately, your health is not at risk, just your sanity.

Demolition may be required to get the animal out. Limit the damage by locating the critter first.

Our noses don't work well to locate the dead body. If its under the floor and not in the walls, drill small holes near the area you last heard the animal. Put your nose directly over each hole. You'll know when you're close.

If its in the wall, remove outlet cover plates and put your nose right on the wall. Most animals in walls get there from above or below. Holes made for electric and plumbing can provide small animal access. If you don't find it this way, sniff the entire baseboard where the floor and wall meet. If this doesn't work, drill a hole into each wall cavity. New house cavities are made with 2x4's on 16" centers. Old houses can be irregular and different.

When you locate the spot, cut a hole big enough to reach in and get the critter.

Sometimes these odors can travel a long way. The odor could be a long ways from the body. Old houses can be a nightmare. You also could rent a cable camera and try to fish the camera under the house.

good luck, gobug

3. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

Can you push a plummers snake thru to your vent in the room then attach a chimney brush to the end then pull it thru?
    Up

4. Well actually it is caught between some kind of sub flooring andsomething else that runs along the sub flooring. Sorry it cant be more precise!!.The odor (thats an understatement) is coming through the vents. Hubby got under the house today and saw that some flex hose was hanging and figured thats where it got in.
    LIZ

5. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

Frankly I doubt demolition is necessary. My parents get "fuzzy tailed rats" (the exterminators can't legally get rid of squirrels) in the walls and attic all the time. One summer we had a whole family of skunks under the house. That was pretty miserable. In the walls, unfortunately (just like in the porch columns) you can hear thems for days, but you can't get them out. They die, they rot and eventually they stop stinking.

The floor should be easy....if the vents can be strung under, isn't there a crawl space? An exterminator can get in there--they just don't want too :eek:)

If you can tell where the scratching is ( there is 1 wall that the squirrels always fall in, where the water pipes run from an upstairs bath, the wall is triangular) that pretty much tells where you need to cut, if you need to. I would think the same thing would hold true for the floor boards.

I wish you the best of luck. At least it's winter, huh? THat keeps the smell down....now, July, would be bad........... :waa:

6. minifarm

minifarm Active Member

Thank you all for your answers. We are still considering our options.
    And sleeping at the other end of the house!! Yea.... lets hope it at LEAST rots by July!
    :waa: :waa: :waa:
    Liz

7. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

:eek: When we were renovating our 130 year old dilapitated farmhouse we switched the livingroom over to where the kitchen/dining room was. The kitchen had the origional floor, topped with a newer floor about 6 inches higher. We thought of ripping them both out but decided instead to put in another plywood floor on top ( so we could put in our new wood flooring) Wellllll, we hadn't thought about critters. rats in fact that would Chew the subfloor while we were sitting there @ nite. Being the Brilliant people we are (not) we put down rat poison.......there by having rats die in between the floor. We had to live with the smell for about 4 months, it wasn't pretty! :eek: We couldn't get to them, because there is only a crawl space under us of about 12 inches....THERE ! Don't you feel better now? :haha: ( we found the worst part was having to explain to every single visitor what that Nasty smell was) Good luck

8. oakhillhubbards

oakhillhubbards Well-Known Member

Just talked to my folks (with the fuzzy-tailed rat problem) Orkin came to spray for termites today and told them that they do not have squirrels this time. They have....

CATS

A whole colony of old, young and nasty cats ....

cats under the house

cats in the walls

I never thought that an animal I grew up with as a pet could be so destructive.

Can you believe it???

How do you take care of THAT? :eek:

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Evict them if possible.

Permanently close off all access points except one. It may be easier to box in the whole underside of the porch (for example) than to crawl under it and close their hole.

Call the exterminator and inquire about the location of the entries.

Make a one way door by cutting a piece of hardware cloth larger than the opening and using "U" nails to hinge it over the remaining entry.

They may figure out how to get back in. You can sprinkle a light layer of flour near the opening to get prints. Use this trick frequently to keep track of what's coming or going.

As soon as they are gone, permanently close the last opening.

You can try trapping, but feral cats are hard to trap. You wont get them all. Then you have to deal with the ones you catch. You'll see how cute and cuddly these creatures are when you pick up the trap. Be careful.

10. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

If you've got a local humane society, call and see if they can help you trap and either put down or relocate the cats. At the very least, you can probably rent humane traps fromt hem.

cait

11. CLFountain

CLFountain New Member

Old farmers have used this for years and I can say it does work!! Get a tin pie plate and mix 1C flour and 1C portland cement and couple of spoonfuls of sugar on it. Set it (or several) out where you know rats/mice run. Yes it will kill them, yes it will stink, but the cement absorbs the body fluids as it hardenens and will only smell your house/barn up for a day and rats cannot resist flour. We had river rats in our house so bad we actually sat on the sofa with friends and had an indoor shooting party! Mom didn't like the mess so she found this cure...

12. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

We too have a problem with cats. They have found a way into our shed and peed all over my dd's tent..sh'e's fuming but at least she did get some target practice in yesterday :) I don't feed the cats and I make sure there is no trash or anything else for them to feed on outside but they are still here. They won't be here much longer...I have a nice Henry 22 that they will meeting soon..it's quick and takes care of the problem rather nicely. Don't get me wrong..I love animals..but not when they are allowed to run free and become feral..they are just mean nasty cats and will go after you if you get too close..shame on me for wanting to enter my own shed. Animal control won't do a thing about these cats..we have to trap them ourselves and bring them to the shelter..maybe there's room in the pit with the cows? :)

kppop

13. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I will tell my skunk story,

had a skunk and it was headed for a small out building, shot it with the shot gun, it had just enough in it to go under the building and die just right smack dab in the center of the building, but in the process of shooting it the first time a stray bb, went through a knot hole in the wall and it struck a gallon can of lacquer and it started to leak, not realizing this at the time,

SO i thought how do i get the skunk out from under the building the dirt arced up under it and could not easily poke it out so the brilliant IDEA CAME TO ME, SHOOT IT AGAIN AND KNOCK IT OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE,

so I place the barrel of the shot gun under the edge of the building and fired hitting the skunk and rolling it over to the other side just as planed,
    what I had not planed was the muzzle blast setting on FIRE the spilled lacquer that had just started to leak through the floor of the building, so I calmly said no big deal, here is a water hose and hydrant right here, so I turned it on and surprise water doesn't put out a lacquer fire, and it keeps burning, but the water did wet down and cool the wood of the building from catching (just barley), holler at my wife to bring a fire extinguisher she finally responds and slowly walks across the yard to where I am, she responds I did not see any fire so why hurry, :bash: ( I am hollering for a fire extinguisher what do you think I want it for,) I was still spraying water on the wood to keep it from catching, one small blast of the extinguisher put the fire out,

so I do not recommend shooting it out of the vent, LOL :haha:

finally did just use a shovel and pick up the dead skunk and haul it out, but it may have been better just have left it leave it,

~~~~~~~~~~~

Another true story,

have a friend who did appliance repair, and the guy was called to home to fix the gas cook stove in the kitchen,

he pulls out the stove and there is a cat skeleton under the stove, the owner walks over and say, poor putty, I wondered where he went to, his wife was surprised as well to where the cat had been,

how in the world could you not know there was a dead cat under the stove???????????????????

14. quadrants2

quadrants2 Well-Known Member Supporter

the story of your wife and the extinguisher has me laughing so hard i have tears and im by myself!!! great stuff ..great stuff!

15. Fairywings

Fairywings Member

Oh we had this happen to us once and yes, it was a cat!

We had just bought our new home and I thought I heard meowing under the house but ignoored it, not realizing that the poor thing was trapped. about 3 weeks later, it smelled like a rank mildewy rag reeking somewhere. My poor husband had to crawl under and fish it out. It was sad.