Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The goat kids must have tripped the ignition, as it was "on", thus the dead battery.

I have one of those 12 volt battery jumper things you plug into the wall and keep charged, use it mainly in the winter when it's below zero. I hooked it up to the battery, and got the atv started, however it kept dying.

I assume there is no "recharging" this battery by just running the atv around, like you do a car.

How do I get this thing recharged again?? Tired of hauling bales of hay out to the goats in my car :D. Sorry too for the female terminology. TIA.

·
Registered
630 Posts
its my opinion that you need to fully charge the battery ASAP... i would pick up a small 12v "charger" and follow the directions to bring it to 100% ... the cells of lead acid batteries start to become damaged below 80% and the sooner you get it back up the better. its even possible the battery might already be shot

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,598 Posts
Running it should recharge it. You may need to clean the connections. The cutting off sounds more like a fuel problem to me.

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
Don't expect those ATV batteries to last more than about 3 years. It will recharge if you get the ATV started and run it long enough....assuming the battery is still good.

I agree with BFF, once the ATV is started the battery plays no role in keeping it running. So, the constant cutting out is probably due to another problem. Make sure your fuel shutoff valve is positioned to "ON".

·
Registered
473 Posts
Probably won't last, like riding mower batteries. There are methods of re-forming batteries, like de-sulfation and the chemical EDTA. A google of the subject will give more than can be printed here.

Harbor Flake sells disconnect switches that attach to the batt terminal, when not in use. Solar panel trickle chargers there too, if you have access to :baby04:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts