Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use iodine, a.k.a., Lugol's Solution, on your farm or homestead for sterilizing wounds, umbilical cords and the like? The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) is now <a href="http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2007/fr0724.htm">outlawing</a> the sale of this important compound. Why? Apparently druggies use it in Methamphetamine production. So law abiding homesteaders and farmers everywhere will be punished for the crimes of a few criminals. Bass Ackwards as usual.

I would suggest stocking up on 7% Iodine for your farm or homestead immediately. The rule goes into effect August 1st, 2007.

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Registered
390 Posts
Windy in Kansas said:
I question whether the Drug Enforcement Agency has the authority to control pharmaceuticals or not? I wouldn't think so.
Not to be a smart butt or anything but you do know what pharmaceutical means right ? It falls right into what the DEA is.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
I'd rather have an open season on meth-heads.... :flame: and keep all the stuff that those (insert favorite negative saying here) drugholes have gotten banned by them using it to make their poison. Any fool eating something made out of lye ain't long for this world.

They can't hurt the criminals, so they hurt the innocent... sorta like gun laws.

............................we're stocking up now..........................

·
Thats MR. Redneck to you
829 Posts
whats next? Whole milk or rice,,,both are white,, could be used to dye something harmfull! I think it could be used to make cocaine more pure in color,, better outlaw it just in case! I HATE THE BAD PEOPLE THAT RUIN IT FOR US GOOD FOLKS~!
I am sorry, I shall not hate.......... I just dislike them to the fullest!!!

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,691 Posts
texican said:
I'd rather have an open season on meth-heads.... :flame: and keep all the stuff that those (insert favorite negative saying here) drugholes have gotten banned by them using it to make their poison. Any fool eating something made out of lye ain't long for this world.

They can't hurt the criminals, so they hurt the innocent... sorta like gun laws.

............................we're stocking up now..........................
As the crusade against domestics labs continue, we do nothing to address the root cause of the drug problem as symptoms are so much easier (cold meds, baby formula). We may decrease labs but Mexican drug lords are stepping in to meet the supply needs. Atlanta is their hub of choice.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm not seeing where it's outlawed. I see where you have to show ID to buy it, but that's not new around here. We've had to show ID for at least the last year or two to buy 7% iodine.

Here's what I found:
"Those who purchase iodine for end use, whether
they are individuals or businesses, will be subject to CSA chemical
regulatory controls to the extent that they must present identification
and provide other information that helps assure the seller that the end
user's proposed use of the chemical is legitimate. See 21 U.S.C. 830
and 21 CFR 1310.07. "

That doesn't sound like it's being totally outlawed, does it?

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Micahn said:
Not to be a smart butt or anything but you do know what pharmaceutical means right ? It falls right into what the DEA is.
The Drug Enforcement Agency is a branch of the Judicial Department, not a branch of the Food and Drug Administration. Meaning they do enforcement of the laws, not make them.

The FDA should be the one to ban a drug or product, the DEA to enforce the ban.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Selena said:
As the crusade against domestics labs continue, we do nothing to address the root cause of the drug problem as symptoms are so much easier (cold meds, baby formula).
IMHO, it's hard to address the problem properly, when one section of society accepts and promotes values unreconcialable with moral values, and the other section disdains drug usage and does accept moral values.

If we were to get truly mediaeval on drug abuse, instead of just crusading, would anyone willingly take up a habit, that would lead to certain guaranteed destruction? (in the salt mines, or as a galley slave?) I'm sure a lot of the problems are with parents and their issues, and addictions, that are passed either passively or agressively down to their children. Hold them accountable too!, at least while the child is under 18! Force accountability, either take responsibility and raise them proper, or don't have them in the first place........ okay, I'll step down off the soapbox now...

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Yes, the 7% iodine is not BANNED, and you have to show ID to get it. Problem is the record keeping and "permitting" required for a seller to sell the stuff is so onerous that all of the Vet supply people I have talked to just would rather not bother.

ANYWAY as I posted earlier, an alternative that is just as effective (7% Triodine) is available and is less expensive. SO WHATS THE PROBLEM???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts