De-wormer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by ShortSheep, May 4, 2006.

1. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

We bought two weanling barrows home last month, and the fellow we bought them from recommended an Ivomec top dressing 3 days of the month (our pigs are on dirt). Our local Farm & Fleet does not have any of this specific feed through de-wormer for pigs, and I don't want to deal with catching these little guys and giving them shots!
    Can anyone recommend a mail order supply company for pig supplies?
    Thank you in advance.

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone else here can clarify, but I think that Ivomec injectable works equally as well as a top dressing. Ivomec is a very common de-wormer for all manners of animals. We used it for our horses and all of our domestic dogs and cats. We don't deworm our pigs, but I am sure that others have simply mixed it in with wet food in the same dosage as injections. Just call your local vet.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Ivomec injectable 1% is what you need. Top dress feed 1cc/75#. Works great. In about 2-3 days you will see the worms if they have them. Plus it will still take care of the external parasites.

4. ShortSheep

Thank you, gentlemen. I always have Ivomec available as a drench for my sheep. Can I just use that rather than buying the Ivomec injectible specifically made for pigs?

5. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

do you drench with the injectable?

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

The Drench is not the same as the injectable & they are NOT interchangable.
    The injectable is seriously more concentrated. I would not suggest trying to use one in place of the other
    Rick

7. ShortSheep

No, it is specifically a drench. I don't have any Ivomec injectible at all, as I find drenching so easy.
    So since the Ivomec I have is specifically a drench, will I be okay using it as a top dressing for my pigs?
    If not, how about pipperizine orally for the pigs?

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I have no experience with the drench, so I don't think I should advise on that...I give the injectable orally to the pigs and goats. What is the brand name of the pipperizine? We use Atgard if we don't use ivomec.