Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
You can often find it in gardening centers, tree nurseries, or greenhouses. Lots of gardeners use it to control slugs and other bad bugs in their gardens.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I got mine from Azure Standard. They're a health food distributor. I know they supply the west and midwest. I'm not sure where you are located. I got mine through a buying club. They also have organic oats and barley for livestock as well as dairy cow/goat feed.

·
DW to FordJunkie
325 Posts
I just bought a bag yesterday! :baby04: I had been looking for it locally (for months) because I did not want to have to pay a big shipping price. I found it (Perma-Guard) at a local farm that sells a lot of certified organic fertilizer, seeds, animal supplements, etc. They also have a CSA. I had heard of the CSA but had never thought to ask if they sell anything else! You might try something like that. Just make sure it says Food Grade on the bag. I did have to buy a 50lb bag because he was out of the smaller ones but I guess I will use it all eventually.

AngelaW

·
Registered
641 Posts
How much did you pay for your 50# bag? I just read an article that says to mix it right in with the feed b/c it has to be fed everyday. It is really powdery so you have to add something to bind it. I'm thinking of buying bags of stuff and mixing my own feed. The person writing this article said that she has only used chemical dewormers 12 times (I don't think it was the whole herd either....just certain animals) since using the diamateous earth. I'm interested!! Here is the link to that article. There is a lot of good info on husbandry on there. There is also a feed recipe for what she uses.

Click on:

Tall Grass Farms

·
DW to FordJunkie
325 Posts
I paid $25.25 plus sales tax for my 50lb bag. I too am interested in all the different ways people are using DE and their results.

AngelaW

·
Registered
641 Posts
I found it on the internet only it was $42.00 + shipping for 50#. I thought that was a lot!! What I read was to add it to the goat's feed at 2% and feed it daily. I've found a few websites that just rave about how healthy their goats and other animals are since being on it. I guess people can take it too. It cleans out the parasites in people too. Interesting huh? I've heard that most people have parasites, even if they don't realize it. Ewwwww!! I am definently going to get some DE. I sounds too good to be true. I hope it isn't. Let us know what you think of it, when you can tell something. I think I'll have a fecal ran on my goats before starting it. I want to really know if it is working.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone..great answers. I still haven't found any around here..but if I have to..I guess I will order over the net til I do find a source close.

The reason I asked is..I was reading either on the cattle forum here or over on one of the Dexter cattle forums..that a guy was putting it in with his minerals. He said after a years worth..the following summer..he noticed a really big decline in the flies. So he was using it as fly control for his cattle.

I'm thinking..gee..maybe it will do a couple of things for me..maybe keep the parasites on the inside knocked to acceptable levels and also maybe control the flies on the Dexters. I was thinking of just adding it to everyone's minerals.

The guy was telling how .. the cows eat it..then they slurp at their backs..with their tongues. The DE gets up on their backs and the flies don't lay as many eggs..or something like that. Any how..I thought, gee, that would be better than trying to spray or dose them everytime I turn around.

OKAY..QUESTION..COULD YOU PUT IT IN A DUST BAG? AND LET THE COWS AND THE GOATS GO UNDER IT?

Thanks so much for all the great answers..let me know how everyone is doing with the DE..unless I see a real down side..I think I will try it. Sherry

·
Retired Coastie
5,066 Posts
http://www.herbalhealer.com/

Sher, I buy mind throught the above link. 2.5 pounds will last me the entire summer. Just add a fraction of a teaspoon to the grain pans. I give it to the goats and bottle calves. No problems here, less flys for sure....JOhn

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Sher said:
OKAY..QUESTION..COULD YOU PUT IT IN A DUST BAG? AND LET THE COWS AND THE GOATS GO UNDER IT?

Thanks so much for all the great answers..let me know how everyone is doing with the DE..unless I see a real down side..I think I will try it. Sherry

No, do not use a dust bag. Neither you nor the animals should inhale the DE -- it can cause serious damage to the lungs. Be careful when handling it, always use a dust mask and work out of the breeze. NEVER BREATHE IN DE POWDER!!

That said, I mixed some up in a spray bottle with water, sprayed the garbage cans to keep the flies down, and it works great.

Just be careful handling it.

Pony!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Email permaguard.com. They gave me several listings in the state. Turns out one of their reps lives just a short way from me. There is a world of difference in my pigs since I started using it in their feed - hardly any flies in their area.

Dan

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sher, I guess it is worse on people with asthma. I've been told that it isn't going be a serious problem if you inhale a bit of it. Just go blow your nose, drink some water, etc. Make sure you are always up wind from where you are working with it. If you are dusting the goats for lice, I'd do it on a still day just so the goats don't inhale a bunch of it. Don't get it in your eyes. It will irritate them and dry them out. Lots of people use this. If it were super dangerous, they wouldn't be handling it, it would probably it illegal to buy. LOL. Just use precaution!! If you use it in your free choice mineral, you want to mix it 50/50. If you have it mixed in with you feed, add it at 2%. What state are you from? I know a person who sells it in Indiana.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts