Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I used DE for a while, and while it did seem to improve the condition of the sheep & goats between wormings, it was not enough to keep parasite levels down to an acceptable level by itself. I did observe a dramatic reduction in the fly population, tho, presumable because it does have an effect on larva in manure. It is good for lice & keds,

I think this is what most using it and fecal sampling are finding. Up north with good freezes and large pastures, using DE between wormings does extend the time of reworming, because the residual effect in the manure itself, extends to the soil, so perhaps the sheep are not reinfested at a rate of the non-DE ones. This has been brought up at convention when speaking to the parasitologist having the college kids running the studies, the goats/sheep in question are in very small areas, so if the DE is working enviornmentally instead of in the animal itself, it would make more sense. But it makes no logical sense that anything is going on inside the goat/sheep, DE doesn't work wet, we where introduced to it through my husbands business, using it as a spray on in barns to control flies, spiders etc.. in the idea of not having cobwebs in our la-ti-da customers horse barns. Right on the bag it says it will not work until dry. Nothing wetter than the inside of an intestine, and if it was truly harmful wet to the worm skin, it would be harmful to the delicate lining of the intestine.

You can do a search for Texas A&M, I haven't been to their site in awhile to see if the DE information is still up there. I know from the beginning of the study to the next year Dr. Craig did add that there was some residual effect going on, hence the question if it was perhaps residual in the envioronment rather than in the animal itself.

I do think fed continually during fly season it can give benefits, especially in livestock that does not have pill manure, because fly maggotts can't hatch, but then also you are killing dung beetle larve, which rids your pasture of manure piles. I also think your garden isn't thanking you when you spread DE manure onto it, and kill earthworms, who also have the same makeup of these internal parasites it is killing :)

The tests don't give us numbers, don't give us fecal egg counts less than the non tested group. It would have to be significant for them to endorse it. I bet with better minerals you could mimic the very same thing in your stock, by supplementing for nutritional stress, the biggest consideration in goats parasite burdens.

As was stated on another thread I about killed myself one year using it under the shavings for overwintering parasites, it was fine until the girls all dug to China for their kidding nests. I have asthma so it isn't even a consideration on me using this again.

I also run a farm that I have to make a profit on, adding this or that for any other reason than it proves it works just takes money from my bottom line.

I so miss the sheep at the farm, everytime I go past the sheep farm in town, I always think about getting a lamb or two each spring.

Hi Ross! Vicki

·
Registered
594 Posts
Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians said:
I I also think your garden isn't thanking you when you spread DE manure onto it, and kill earthworms, who also have the same makeup of these internal parasites it is killing :) Vicki
Just an up date on the info, earthworms are not harmed by DE, I found some documentation instead of just saying so.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?id=41

21 - 23 of 23 Posts