Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my home internet connected in the new place up in MD. It has been quite cold here, as I guess is normal this time of year...lol. There is one big water trough that has a deicer in it although it hadn't been plugged in (I needed to get an extension cord). Then I was using a different pasture and just breaking the ice in that trough....well it is now way too frozen to do that and I thought about the trough with the deicer. Will it still work if it is already frozen when plugged in? Or is that one of those things that you need to plan ahead for? I have also learned that you have to drain hoses after use or you will not be using them for a while!! I have been lugging water buckets all over the place! I need to invest in smaller heated buckets for the goats, chickens and for the horses in their stalls, but I haven't yet found a job here and don't have the money for that right now. Guess I will be building up some muscle lugging water/ice buckets around!!

·
mostly LaManchas
1,004 Posts
I feel your pain!
I would not ekpect the unit to work on just ice. I have never used one though! I would say pour a bunch of HOT water and melt some of the ice in the tub, then put the unit in that, and maybe it will ment the rest?? That is what I would do.

Ya, my dh and dd thought taking the ice chunks out of the tube would be a good idea. I told them no way, just leave them in and add hot water, that way you don't have to pack as much!
We packed water for about 10 days here last month. Such a pain!
Hope the de-icer works out.

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts
I would plug it in and let it melt the ice. There aren't any moving parts to mess up. If for some reason you see that it isn't melting the ice in a day I would unplug it and melt it loose with hot water or put a clear plastic sheet over it and let the sun do it.

A cheaper alternative to those heated buckets is to build insulated plywood boxes (the bottom can be open) and put a light bulb protected by being placed inside a tin can lying on it's side inside the box. A 40 watt bulb is good to -20 F if the bucket sits in a hole in the box up to it's rim. There's photos of one I built in the Alternative Energy forum under geothermal waterer. We had 3 nights of -30 F this week and even with that small bulb the ice didn't get more than 1/2" thick and opened up during the day.

·
Premium Member
16,059 Posts

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i left in on all day and it didn't seem to do much. It is going to be even colder tonight so I am guessing I will have to try the hot water trick tomorrow and maybe get anough melted that the de-icer will do the rest. I like the insulated box idea...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts