DE for tapeworms in cats and dog

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by woadleaf, Feb 24, 2009.

1. woadleaf

woadleaf Well-Known Member

How do you know when it's done the job?

I'm on the forth week of feeding 2 tsp each/daily to the cats and 2 Tbsp daily to the dog. I'm still seeing the occasional segment, is this normal? Should they be clean by the end of this week as I've been led to believe?

2. cajunmeadows

cajunmeadows Member

I do not know about cats but I have used on my dogs for years Happy Jack tape wormer. It is the best I have come across and pretty cheap.

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I thought tapeworms were the only worms that DE wasn't effective on. Now I'm going to have to go investigate...

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

DE has NEVER been SCIENTIFICALLY proven to have ANY effect on internal parasites.
    Its ONLY proven effective use is as an INSECTCIDE, and it ONLY works if dry.

5. woadleaf

well, poo! (literally!)

I thought I was making some progress. I started because of seeing one segment from one cat. Her belly has gone from very slightly bloated to perfectly soft since starting feeding the DE. I was seeing so many testimonies to the effectiveness of DE taken internally for worms from people here, I thought I'd give it a try. I googled the dosage.

Vermicide for tapeworm in felines are only available from vets.

6. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Just because it has never been scientifically proven doesn't mean it doesn't work. Lots of things haven't been proven scientifically or medically and work perfectly fine. I do believe I have read from the experienced DE folks, though, that it isn't effective on tapeworms. Lots of other worms, but not tapes.

7. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'm with Bearfoot on this one. We tried it and it was worse than useless. I've never seen much evidense it works and some that said it didn't. Here's a quote from a McGill University on DE (McGill is one of Canada\s better universities)
    Here's the site it has some interesting biological wormers and info.
    http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab370-04e.htm

8. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

There are now over the counter tapeworm meds (praziquantel) available for both dogs and cats! You can get them at pretty much any of the on-line pet supply places.

9. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

Praziquantel and Febendazole (safeguard) both work well.
    The dog dosage for Safeguard is 1 ML per 5 lbs , (using the 10% solution),
    given three consecutive days

10. woadleaf

Not in my province, I'm afraid - too much fear of improper dosing? I can't buy dewormer for cats anywhere but vet's office. I CAN however buy it online, which is exactly what I'm doing right now!

11. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Bearfoot, are you using horse safeguard then? We have 5 dogs, a rescue we brought in last year infected everyone with hook worm, and the cost of the dog powdered safeguard is outrageous. I cannot use ivermec with the dogs because they are all australian shepherds. I've noticed that the dog safeguard is 22% while the horse version must be the 10%? Thanks!