DD might lose job?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by paulaswolfpack, Jan 14, 2007.

1. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

My DD 17 who works at sonic may lose her job the main manager said to her when I had her call in today 5 hrs. early due to flooding on our 5 mile long dirt road I dont own a 4 wheel drive just a pickup, I drive the 52 mile round trip to take her to work then 52 mile roundtrip to pick her up 5-6 hours later.shes only been working there 7 months and has only missed once when she was sick went to the dr. got a note for off school and work for 2 days but she went anyway and after a couple of hours she went home but gave them the note in which they told her she should of called in sick but my dd says its fastfood if your not there than you lose,But the weather they told her she should have given them more warning? dont they watch the news I mean the tv and radio has had Ice warnings and flashflood warnings out snice Friday, they told her she better not miss tomorrow how do I know if my road will be any better. its not a life or death job, its burgers and fries, my dd says everyone else lives close to town but not us,whos gonna pay my tow bill if I get stuck or have a bad wreck on the slick payment, she is so mad at me right now for not wanting to risk it. :flame: How can I give them more of a heads up on the weather the parents are not allowed to talk to the managers for them which I might end up gettinf her fired if I talked to the one she spoke with today told her to call right back after he talked to the main owner to see if she still had a job and better be there tomorrow we still have more weater to come overnight, is that wrongful termitnation or no? :shrug:

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I dont know any of the law stuff and I wouldnt waste my time on it personally.

Now the vehicle,thats another matter,I wouldnt risk my vehicle for the betterment of some hamburgers.

Yep,its amazing the supervisors who cant grasp weather happens.

Best of luck to you and her regardless how this situation turns out.

Stay safe and warm!

BooBoo :gromit:

3. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

is there a job closer to home that she can apply for? It seems like 52 miles one way for minimum wage isnt worth the wear and tear on vehicles.

I know that your family is struggling... is her paycheck her money or is she helping to support the family?

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

It may be just a threat. When employing kids this age they often come to work when they feel like it. This type of manipulation is done at better paying jobs as well. She should go to work and do a good job. She has already worked there longer than six months, and at 17, that looks good on paper. She can apply for another job now, in the summer, or wait to see if they actually fire her, which I doubt they will.

5. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

An old country/western tune comes to mind "Take This Job and Shove It". It doesn't sound as if they job is a financial benefit to dd unless you provide her with free transportation so this might be a good time to sit down with her and explain the financial facts of life. Its good she's such a responsible person that she wants to get to work no matter what, but its time for a reality check.

6. Deenie

Deenie Active Member

Your daughters safety is more important.

Tell her a good supervisor who truly appreciates her would never want her
    risking the treacherous roads or bad weather...

7. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

If the weather isn't safe the daughter shouldn't go.

But I'm glad they don't let parents talk to supervisors for the kids. The parents aren't working there, the kids are. This isn't school after all.

Kayleigh

8. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Where does she work? Ava or Westplains?

dale

9. Dianol

Dianol Well-Known Member

Never never never tell your supervisor this. Even if he is in the wrong ! Remember, that the next job she applies for will want her job history, and will call the old supervisor. One of the questions almost every manager will ask during a job verification call is " would you hire dd back if you had an opening?"

Virtually every time, the response to this question, or lack of a response gives the inquireing employer an indication. Never shoot yourself in the foot. No matter how much you'd like to. Good paying jobs are tough to get, and networking, and references are important to get your foot in the door.

All you would get from this exchange would be short term satisfaction.

On anther note; If you are driving 52 miles to take her to work, and another 52 to pick her up after work, you are probably losing money. Not sure what kind of vehicle you have, but there is a "cost per mile" for every car or truck. Assuming she's making $6/hour and working 6 hours a shift, that's $36 a day before taxes.
    If your car is costing 40 cents a mile to operate - gas, tires, maintenance, depreciation, etc... (IRS rate is 48 cents per mile)
    Then .40 times 104 =$41.60. so......using these numbers, it's costing you $5 a day for her to work. You can plug in the actual costs and pay scale to get the exact cost, but she's working for around nothing.

Although I understand that there is a value for a 16 year old to begin learning how the real world works, you may want to check on employment opportunities a little closer to home if possible. If she does quit, I would recommend that dd handle herself professionally, and tender a fomal resignation, and offer two weeks notice.

Either way, good luck, and God Bless.

Dianne

10. paulaswolfpack

paulaswolfpack Well-Known Member

I work at the sonic in West plains..(this is Kat, her Daughter) :p but its fine..I have it under control but thank yo!
    Kat

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Along the topic of your dd getting a bad reference...
    When I was in high school I worked at a hardware store as a cashier and overheard one of the managers give a very nasty reference for an employee for a different job. It was all because she was in college and had other commitments and had to have time off for them, of all things. :rolleyes: I was livid and asked the other manager about it and he told me it was illegal to give a bad reference for a person for the sole purpose of them not getting a different job. This was around 1990. He said, if you can't give a good reference then don't give one at all.