dd got a great pyrenees/anatolian pup

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs_stuart, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

for her goats. It is a beautiful little thing. It is about 6 weeks old and small, even though it wont stay that way for long. Anyone have any of these? Any advise to give my dd on training it? Thanks.

Belinda

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

simple commands and do not baby it, it needs to know its place is with the goats and not with you at the house, you are the leader of the pack but the pups place is with the Goats.
    it needs to know your the boss but it will never be the kind of dog to sit stay and roll over, basically it needs to know the command "NO" and "STOP" and "COME", if your going to be takeing it in to the Vet i needs to be easily handled into the pet porter or the back seat and not try to eat the receptionist at the Vets office.

3. Mrs_stuart

Thanks so much, I am going to print this up and have dd read it. Thanks for taking the time to give some advice!!!

Belinda

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

simple commands are the best. We got a GP a few monthes ago she is now 9 monthes old and a very large puppy. The biggest mistake we made with her was with another dog we ha have she now will nopt tolerate.They do not do well with the small herdering type dogs that are of the sex. We have 3 other dogs and KITTY (yes that is our LDGs name my 10 year thought it would be funny to go out and yell HERE KITTY KITTY and have a 100 lb + dog come running )any way I have learned that they do not do well with the same sex or small herding dogs and our poor female shelty just cringes when Kitty comes around. They are now seperated by a large wood fence and arfe kept tht way

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

The PYRS can be trained to leave other dogs alone, when they belong on the place--!!! The point is LGDs are GAuRDIANS while Herders, well, drive and herd! AS long as the herfing dog is "woring", there is no need for the LGD to get upset-- it can continue patrolling!
    I have a buddy that raises PYRS specifically for LGD work, ( as well as some very nice Pomeranians for show and pet purposes) and she does rescue for all the LGD breeds-- very seldom is there an issue with the resident dogs disliking the transient ones-- they know MOM has the final say!

Because the pup is a "mixed breed"- I would suggest contacting groups that deal with each breed as a working dog-- you will have two very different sets of genetic behaviour that will be working agsainst/with each other-- and different situations may trigger one set to override the other.
    I know of people that use each breed as Service Dogs, and the Anatolian wins, hands down, for being a bit more agressive in it's stance towards percieved threats, while the Pyr is generally more accepting of strangers and different situations. More of a thinker, you might say.

6. Mrs_stuart

That is a good idea Terry, I will definitely look into both breeds. We did talk to the "dog breeder" and some of her "customers" and they said that the breeder has the best dogs for goats...great temperment and all. The parents were there on the breeders place too (which is nice to see). dd is good with dogs, but she has never had a "large" dog before. She has a dachshund and got him when he was older (10 1/2 months) and trained him nicely. I think she can "handle" this dog well too. I keep reminding her that it will soon weigh more than her (dd is 98 lbs) lol!! Thanks !!!

Belinda

7. Mrs_stuart

mberryrfd,
    You dd and my dd must have the same sense of humor, My dd is 14 but has been asking to name a dog Kitty for years, thinks it would fun!!! luckly she didnt name her new pup that!!! lol!

Belinda