Dcon for chipmunks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uncle Will in In., Feb 7, 2012.

1. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Will Dcon kill piney squirrels and chipmunks?? If not, what would dispatch them??

2. pheasantplucker

pheasantplucker Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a bunch of them this summer...digging up all the gravel under the foundation of my front steps. My sister had a similar problem with them. She told me this method. I killed 9 in about two days. Get a bucket and an inclined board, so that the board forms a 45 degree angle leading from the ground to the lip of the bucket. Fill the bucket half full of water. Pour enough black sunflower seeds so the water is completely covered. Put some of the seed on the board leading to the lip. My sister killed 17 this summer doing this.

3. NoClue

NoClue Well-Known Member Supporter

It may not be the most effective way, but I've found large fireworks down their burrows to be very satisfying.

4. SparkyMaine

SparkyMaine Well-Known Member

A .22 does a real good job, and it provides the added benefits of a) not putting poison out, and b) practicing up on your marksmanship. :)

5. newcolorado

newcolorado Well-Known Member

Barbait can do the job. I had squirrels under house and under the insulation in floor under hot water tank. Electric wires there, Had to get them out. Tank was counter top 40 gallon. Warm under it. I could get it under the house but not near tank but broke the bar in to 4 ths and they took it.

6. willowworker

willowworker Well-Known Member

7. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a fly killer granuals, Blue Marlin or Purple Martin or some such. The feed store or TSC or Lowes should have it. Used to attract and kill flies.Pour some in a pan and add regular coke. Put the pan where the varmints can get it and your cats and dog can't. It is not labeled for that use and therefore is illegal, yet effective.

8. TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Well-Known Member

I use a rat poison called Havoc on squirrels. It would probably work on chipmunks, too.

9. doodlemom

doodlemom Well-Known Member

10. misterB

misterB Active Member

Rat traps with a peanut wired to the pan and smeared with peanut butter has taken many many chipmunks and red squirrels (piney) around here, and no decaying carcasses that cant be found

11. barnyardgal

barnyardgal Well-Known Member

Last summer i put the mouse poison down in their holes & it wasn't long till i did not see any more chipmunks or new holes so guess it worked here...I did not know what else to use...

12. Sammy

Sammy Well-Known Member

I use a cat.

13. DYngbld

DYngbld I VOID warranties!

A pellet gun and a 11 year old boy. (or 12 yo girl in my house)

14. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

having had beloved pets die from eating dcon or animals that ate decon..I would please beg you NOT to use it.