Db 880 Pto

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I finished my first round of hay. My pto seems to be noisy. Sounds like a bearing is gone or some gears are not meshing prroperly. Has any one had rebuilt their pto on a DB880 selectomatic? I want to know if I take it apart and replace bearings etc, can I have it going in 1-2 days. What kind of job is it? It looks fairly simple in the manual. Are all the replacement parts available? Should I wait until hay season is over? I have 30-40 acres left to do.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Why not drain the oil and catch the fluid in a clean container and look for debris in attempt to determine if you are having a catastrophic failure of some component.? Reuse the oil if it is clean.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

We've changed one on a 990 which is virtually identical. Not a huge job at all, the trickiest part is rejoining the rear housing to the axle as you must tunr the PTO by hand so the gears with the hydraulic pump mesh. You can get it together without meshign those gears (or almost get it together) but you'll be pushing the drive gear under a lot of strain and you might damage the pump. You'll feel a satisfying click as it comes together rockign the PTO back and forth as you tighten the housing bolts. Oh and there's an alignment pin (on the housing bolt ring of the axle) that you should wire brush or file to make sure it slides on easily.