Dazey butter churn jars - Where can I buy one

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FarmboyBill, Dec 7, 2008.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I see them in Lehmans, but I dont know if theyll fit mine as there for a (somewhat) Dazey lookalike churn. I saw 2 dazey churns sell at the sale yesterday, one bigger than I had ever seen, and one the regular size. The big one sent for $150, and the regular one went for $125. Thats WAY more than I want to spend just to get the jar.

2. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

You might be able to find one at a local antique store. I seem to recall a rather large antique store at Blackwell, Ok. I'm sure there are some maybe closer to you. Just the jar should be cheaper, but a genuine Dazey does tend to be pricey.

3. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Believe it or not, the walmart here has the jars for a very reasonable price (under $10, I don't remember exactly how much). Or at least they did a couple months ago.

We have a Dazey churn. Maybe next time I'm in walmart I should see if they still have those and get one.

Check out your local walmart over in the section with kitchen glassware.

4. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Bill,

Check the Sears Farm and Ranch catalog, or Nasco...

6. calliemoonbeam

calliemoonbeam Well-Known Member Supporter

7. FarmboyBill

The ID in mine is 4 5/8ths. The depth of the jar would/should be around 9, maybe 10in. Let me know what it is going for callie, and ill let you know if interested. Thanks for the thought. Ill check Walmart Mon night. I dont believe I ever saw anything in ours that would work, bvut ill check. You might check yours and see if the measurments I gave match what you saw at your WM. Thanks

8. calliemoonbeam

The ones I saw are on eBay, not in the store. The first one is way too small, but it sounds like the second one might fit. It says it's 9-1/2" tall, but doesn't give any other measurements. I sent them an e-mail, asking for the top measurement to be sure. It's listed for $19.99 right now, but that may go up since the auction doesn't end until the 13th. The shipping is $10.58.

As soon as I find out what the top measurement is, I'll let you know, and if it's right you can decide if you want me to try and get it. :)

P.S. I think we probably shop at the same Walmart, in Sapulpa right? I do go to Sand Springs every once in a while, but mostly Sapulpa.

9. SoINgirl

SoINgirl Well-Known Member

10. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

SoINgirl is right, reproductions are available.

Sadly, I have seen the repros sold to unsuspecting customers as originals.

Clove

11. FarmboyBill

Would u let me know if it passes near $20 before the due date.

12. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

13. calliemoonbeam

Bill, I heard back from the owner, and they said the opening is 5". Does the 4-5/8 on your mean that's the opening diameter? If so, then it won't fit.

This jar is an original Dazey churn jar, has the logo and patent date of February 14, 1922, stamped right on the jar.

Right now it's still at $19.99. Please double check your churn and let me know. Keeping my fingers crossed. :)

14. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

15. calliemoonbeam

Thanks Blufford! That was great information on churns.

If it turns out Bill's churn won't fit the Dazey jar, this just might be the one. Thank you so much!

I'm trying to help Bill out because we're sort of neighbors (only live five miles apart), and he only has really slow dial-up, which makes computer stuff hard. :)

16. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

Try Lehmans they have or had what they say are dazy churn replacment jars , they also have a hole butter churn that is very dazy like but uses a differnet jar

17. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I have one that was my grandpa's but don't want to sell it. :)

18. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I wouldn't want to sell the one here, either.

I have a lot of childhood memories surrounding it. My mother would strain the milk every day, skim the cream, and put that in the Dazey churn. She made butter every single day with that thing for many years. She had a wooden butter mold, too.

The milk cow along with the +100 hens gave her her butter and egg money.

19. calliemoonbeam

I was thinking I wanted to get one eventually, but at the prices they want for original Dazeys guess I'll have to get one of the new ones, lol.

I think Bill's lost track of this thread, posting partly to bump it up, lol. Then if he doesn't respond guess I'll have to send him a PM. Yo Bill, are ya out there??

20. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

I would like to bump this thread up again.....
    Here seems to be the situation: The original and authentic #40 Dazey churns, had mouth openings of 5" for the jar, the top of the churn would actually measure closer to 5 1/4". Pickle jars are 4 3/4". And the India ripoff's seem to be mostly 1 quart size. (BTW Dazey never made 1 Qt. size for sale).
    If you have a Dazey DO NOT break the jar as there doesn't seem to be any where to get a replacement....Even a reproduction. At least I haven't found one. This is why you can buy the mechanics of the churn for $10-$12 on eBay, but the jars are priced OMG.