Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, we are in the planning stages now of starting a pumpkin farm. Small patch this year, but a few acres next year of pumpkins and decorative gourds.

The other day, son and I were talking about the possibility of growing pumpkins in molds. For a while now, people have been growing watermelons in acrylic cubes to make square melons, we thought it would be cool to try doing it with pumpkins, but in different shapes and styles.
Well, crud! Someone beat us to it, I just saw a blurb on the news about this...

http://6abc.com/home/farmer-grows-frankenpumpkins-in-time-for-halloween/321947/

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Have you priced an acrylic box? Even to make yourself it is $20+ per box... it can add up quick. Granted they are reusable, but I hope you have a market for em !!

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
How about white pumpkins? They might sell well(Caspar the Friendly Ghost)

Also, you can grow apples with a person's name on it(by blocking off the sunlight for the letters)

geo

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With pumpkins, when they are young, you can write in them, just lightly scratching into the outter surface, and as the pumpkin grows, whatever you wrote will grow too.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AAs far as white pumpkins, good idea with the casper thing. I'm planting 3 varieties of whites next year, the mini "baby boo", a medium size (5-12 pound), and a larger (20-35 pound)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I planted "white pumpkin" , seed from another HT'er (jnap) about 5 yrs ago. Great tasting winter squash from the Balkans. The 2nd year, the vines were all over the place, and 20-30ft long. Every single white pumpkin was stolen!!! Looks like there might be a market!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts