Day in the life of a homesteader?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BlessedMom, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. BlessedMom

    BlessedMom Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2004
    I'm just curious. I'm one of those journal reading lovers. I love to hear about an ordinary day at the homestead. I've read lots of accounts from years gone by but would love some more recent accounts! I find them so inspiring and encouraging!:worship:
    I currently work outside the home but hopefully next year if all goes well (selling my milk, goat milk soap, kids, eggs..etc) I'll be coming home to stay!


  2. deberosa

    deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

    Dec 13, 2003
    Floyd County, VA
    I checked out your site. Interesting idea - I take donations to feed my happy hens.

    Are you experiencing any of the Mt. Saint Helens erruption?

    I am a weekend and evening homesteader. This weekend I am working on getting organized since it's only been a year since I moved in. I did put an old barn gate out a the end of my drive and put my Deberosa sign on it. It's now official. ;-)

  3. BlessedMom

    BlessedMom Well-Known Member

    Jul 19, 2004
    Well WA state has decided it needs to be everyone's mother...and we need the state to protect us since we obviously do not know what we are doing by drinking "raw" milk. LOL!

    I've still got to take pictures of my goat milk soap to post up there on the web page. Our chickens just started laying so far 5 eggs and counting. :)

    We've had a bit of a dusting from the old mountain other than that nothing much. If we get a bigger one I just might get a bit jumpy though! LOL!

  4. Jen H

    Jen H Well-Known Member

    Jun 16, 2004
    6:30 am - pull myself out of bed. Get coffee started. Stumble out the door to open up the critter barn and set out grass hay on my way to the road to get the newspaper.

    7:30 am - Eating breakfast and trying to kick the brain cells into gear.

    8:00 am - Outside work - picking apples, spraying, weeding the garden, tying up berry vines, mowing, fence building... Varies with the season.

    1:30 pm (or so) - lunch, check e-mail, maybe take a peak on the internet

    2:30 pm - Critter time. I shut the dogs inside and let the goats and sheep wander and graze while I wander with them. Hey, it's cheaper than a psychiatrist. Do barn chores, hoof trimming (if necessary), snuggle and scritch them.

    4 pm - Finish up the outside work and figure out what we're gonna do for dinner.

    6:30 - dinner

    7:30 - Shut up critter barn. Make sure all the dogs and cats are indoors. Do bookwork, cruise around on the internet, weave, television, etc.

    Repeat schedule ad-infinitum. It's kind of a boring life but it sure works for me!
  5. Hank - Narita

    Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

    Aug 12, 2002
    Schedule is up at 6 a.m. Have coffee and breakfast. Milk 2 goats and feed before 9 a.m. Check chickens, work in garden, lunch at noon, work in garden, shower, dinner, milk goats, watch movie, check internet, bed by 11 p.m. Start the same the next day.
  6. MorrisonCorner

    MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

    Jul 27, 2004
    At the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival this year someone suggested that what everyone who was getting into "farming" (the term was used loosely to encompase every possible size of farm) needed was a "Chore O' Meter." This is a little device like a scale. Add chickens and the meter pops up how many extra hours and how much money you'll need to invest in chickens. Add a couple of sheep? Bing! Up pops the added time and effort for that. Pile on a goat...

    Until you have the optimal amount of time and effort for your happy little enterprise.

    I want to build one just for the fun of it!
  7. Corky

    Corky Well-Known Member

    May 11, 2002
    crawl out of bed at 5:30.
    Make coffee.
    shower & get dressed for work away from home.
    do morning chores ( fresh water and hay for critters.) Morning chores have been designed to be easy as I still have to work to support this lifestyle.
    Head for work.
    I get home around 4:00 pm. if summertime i do housework or play on the computer until it cools off some, or go fishing or swimming. then go putter in the garden, or mow,or do some of the million things that need to be done on a small homestead. :)
    evening chores are tougher. I feed all the animals grain in the evening. I also milk, strain, and put in freezer. Then wash up milking stuff. I gather eggs. clean and refill waterers.
    Weekends are when I trim hooves, muck stalls and give shots and worm and stuff like that.
    I also try to save canning and jelly making for the weekends but durring the peek of the season that isn't possible.
  8. ponyexpress

    ponyexpress Well-Known Member

    Feb 15, 2003
    4:30 am Dog & I are up & out the door to feed up
    5am fix breakfast and lunch for me, feed inside dog and cats
    5:45 off to my day job
    3-6pm whatever time I manage to get home
    In summertime, if it's too hot to do anything outside, I take a nap
    Then outside chores, garden, berry bushes, fruit trees
    Play with the horses
    Feed up
    Dinner, internet, then bed
    Weekends are better!
    Horses will let me sleep in until 7:30, then they start screaming so loud for their breakfast they literally rattle the windows!
    I try to do some fun stuff on days off
    Target shooting, riding, and I like to just climb up and sit in the tree stand and watch the critters
    It's a great life!
  9. cloverfarm

    cloverfarm Well-Known Member

    May 31, 2004
    Which is why we're glad we sold the dairy cows. Whoo! Got out from under! The chore-o-meter would go "Tilt" otherwise!

    I guess you'll have to bear with me since we are just plain old farmers, not homesteaders. This got me going on a vent/rant about the farm ...

    Probably teh most nerve-wracking time was silo filling because DH was up and down the silo who knows how many times, charging back and forth as fast as possible with tractors and chopper wagons to keep everythign rolling and then when it was all done, having to monkey in there with the unloader during the time when the gases were worst. And having to level off the silage inside as they went -- we've had neighors in such a rush they didn't load the silo level adn teh whole thing came down. And people have a tendecny, in a hurry, to hop over items running by PTO and get tangled up.

    And then in the middle of everything -- time to milk the cows! Then head back out to the fields.

    A lot of times we dind't eat supper until after 9 p.m. Still dont' during busy times, we often eat in shifts.

    If a weather front would be moving in dust would fly around the farm, and fur would fly in the house. :rolleyes:

    But, with no cows, no silos. (big sigh of relief!) Teh beef cattle emptied the silo and are now on baled hay and grain. They have self-feeders called "steer stuffers" which I think is a funny name!

    Now we are busting a gut trying to get soybeans harvested and wheat planted.

    Hope everyone has a great day1
  10. Ditzyblond

    Ditzyblond Active Member

    Apr 20, 2004
    Let's see......

    6 am I wake up and get my husband off to work. Make his lunch and all that jazz, make coffee and have some. I go on the internet a bit or crochet with my coffee, just to relax before work begins.

    Sometime between 6:30 and 7 I go out and feed everyone hay, grain, scratch, suppliments, whatever the respective critter is getting for the day. 11 horses 2 goats, countless chickens and turkeys and 11 dogs. And everyone seems to get different things. (!) My feedbill is starting to surpass my grocery bill now and I must absolutely learn how to grow grains and pasture in the damned desert. So far, every crop I have planted has failed miserably. I would rather just move somewhere more fertile ASAP. I also gather eggs and water the garden.

    When done, I come back in the house and get my kids up for breakfast and get the oldest one off to school. The little ones I get ready to go outside in their play yard so I can do other things.

    During the day, I weed the garden and the rest of the yard, gather whatever veggies or what not that needs gathered, bring it in the house and then I start working horses for a couple hours. Oh, I clean corrals and pens too just about daily.

    Lunch break when it gets too hot and I get worn out. Make lunch for everyone, go on internet for a bit maybe and then start cleaning the house. I take one room a day (not weekends) and thoroughly clean its guts out. Takes a couple hours. During this time I will do any baking I need to do as well as prepare things for dinner.

    Older kid and husband get home about 3:30. I go out and do more riding for awhile and also any of my little construction projects I have going on such as my goat house I am currently working on until it gets dark. Before I go inside, I feed all the animals once more.

    At dark, I make dinner up, everyone eats and we all help clean up (if everyone cooperates which isnt often) I do homework with my oldest daughter, get the little ones bathed, teeth brushed and off to bed.

    Then about 10 pm I get to relax. I either go on the internet or crochet a bit, maybe watch some tv if there isn anything interesting on, which there usually isnt. Alot of times, I have a glass of wine outside and just listen to all my critters happily crunching thier hay. It is a happy time. At the end of the day, I feel very satisfied when I have gotten alot done and its a very positive feeling.

    I do get Sundays off except for feeding, cooking and riding which are never like work for me. I refuse to clean the house or yard on a Sunday, I dont care what happens. Its "you made the mess, you clean it up or it waits til Monday."

    I absolutely love all the things I do and I would never ever ever trade it for some crazy career. I think the greatest thing about physically working my backside off all day is that I can eat that chocolate bar and not gain 5 pounds. My city friends who work in offices are scared of them!

  11. sisterpine

    sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

    May 9, 2004
    Zone 8a, AZ
    WOW you all have really busy days compared to mine! I am up at 6 am, then study (full time old woman student!) till sun comes up then go feed and water chickens, water green house, check water level in storage tanks, spend two hours hauling water from neighbors well. go to school for 2 hours, study for 4 more hours, eat, walk dogs, gather eggs, clean house, write research papers, view lectures on video. DH does the cooking YEA! and I just have to wash dishes and clean the mess up that he makes. Go to bed a 9 pm and start all over again!