day 26 babies

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jensue, Feb 6, 2005.

1. jensue

jensue Member

Anybody know what would cause a doe to go into labor early. My 6 month old doe has been having kits for 24 hours now. About every 4 - 6 hours there will be another one on the wire, dead, of course. These have been fully formed but just early.

2. jensue

jensue Member

Well, my doe ended up having 9 kits and now she (the mom) is dead.

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Oh no!

I'm *just* getting started with my bunnies - bred them on Friday. I have no idea what to tell you other than I'm terribly sorry for your loss! :waa: I just hope someone else can give you an indication of what might have gone wrong! :(

-Sarah

4. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Jen,

It is really hard to say what happened. My guess is that she went into premature labor [if you are sure of your breeding dates] and she ended up having a stuck kit. This happens somtimes with first time moms.

Also you didnt say what breed of rabbit. It is standard practice to breed meat rabbits at 4 1/2 months[7-8 lbs] but smaller breeds of rabbits are not normally bred till 9-10 months of age.

Anything change with your feed? Problems with predators? There are just to many variables to tell you what happened for sure. Chalk it up to experience, stuff happens and somtimes we never know for sure.

5. jensue

jensue Member

Thanks for the feedback. We have californians. This one is/was 6 months old. After having 9 kits over 2 days she died. I have 9 others bred, 4 of them being the same age. Hopefully, our luck will turn out better. I will let you know in the next few days what happened. I definitely bred on the 9th of January (Sunday). I can tell all my other does are prego with their bellies twitching every once in a while. I obviously have too much time on my hands.......and with 6 children of my own.

6. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

My guess also. I usually see abortions or premature labor more in the
    summer (heat stress) than in the cooler months.

When we have a doe die from an unknown reason,
    we necropsy. Many times a contributing factor can be found.

Good luck with the remaining does. I hope things go well for you.

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com