Day 157!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by barnyardfun, May 7, 2006.

1. barnyardfun

barnyardfun Happy Homemaker Supporter

I have an alpine doe, first freshner, and she is now on day 157! I have been keeping a very close eye on her, checking ligs twice a day, feeling udder, etc. Her udder is tight and warm, has been for past few days. Her ligs are holding on strong, not showing any signs of going into labor. Back end has been swollen for past month.

I am just afraid that she is going to go too long and have trouble kidding, in the past week she has gotten noticably bigger. Is there anything I can do to put her into labor?? We do not have a vet around here that knows anything about goats, I am pretty familar with the kidding process.....have had several kids, even had to pull some. I just don't know what to do in her case.

I know that her due date is correct because we hand bred (well, we were there the whole time and then seperated them). She was bred on Dec. 1st. So that puts her around day 157. Please help! :help:

Any idea? :shrug:

2. barnyardfun

Still no baby today. DH went out to barn this morning (I had the joy of waking up with a HUGE headache). Said she looked like she was constipated this morning.......is that good? We tried feeling the baby yesterday afternoon and couldn't feel anything but ligs are still holding on strong. Not feeling the baby means it could be making its way into position?

And just to answer the odvious questions....yes I am sure she is pregnant and I am 99% sure of her due date.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Good Luck with her, look for a REALLY swollen udder, mucus, and a really saggy/open vulva. God To fias.com and get more info. Good Luck. Bye/.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Hang in there, I would bet it is ANYTIME. could you of miss counted the due date or the bred date? I have one that I swear never losses the lig, until she is in Labor. Keep us Posted.

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, has your doe kidded yet? What was the outcome? My FF is at day 155 today and I have the same concerns you had about her having trouble kidding.

I am possitive of her date. We drove her to the breeder, put her in the buck pen and the deed was done, no question...

I am really getting worried about having a big and/or dead kid :Bawling:

6. barnyardfun

NO! :flame: I am positive on her bred date also because I was there.....I watched it! :rolleyes: BUT! We have decided that for some reason she didn't take and must have came back in when we weren't paying attention and the buck was running freely with the does by then. SO....I have refigured her due date for the next time she must have come in heat and I am looking at a due date sometime around May 19th. So we sit and wait, story of our lives! I check her several times a day and she is doing fine.....getting MUCH bigger and seems very uncomfortable but doing okay. Keep us posted on how your doe does!

7. Goat Freak

Well good Luck with her. Bye.

8. barnyardfun

Just to let everyone know my doe had her kids this morning. Little buck and doe. Little buck didn't make it :Bawling: but the doe is a lively little booger! :) Mama is doing good I will try to post pics if I can ever find the cord that goes to my camera! :rolleyes:

9. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Sorry to hear a bout your little guy. Hope Momma and little doe are well and good.

10. Goat Freak

Sorry to hear about the little boy. But GLAD to hear that the little girl is still allright! Are ya keepin her? Good Luck. Bye.