Day 155....It's a Boy!!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Starsmom, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

Our doe Blanche had a huge buckling at about 1:45 pm. She needed a little help, so I called a friend of mine who raises everything under the sun..goats included. She was glad to lend a hand, especially since I bought the doe from her.

All ended well and we now have a beautiful little buckling, Rocky Mountain Avalanche...I believe my son will keep him and train him to drive as he wants to have a goat cart.

Since I haven't figured out how to post a picture, here is a link.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/Starsmom/04-06f.jpg

One down, one more to go.

2. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Congrats! He's very pretty and will make an attractive cart goat. What breed is he?

3. Starsmom

He is 1/2 Alpine, 3/8 nubian & 3/8 Saneen...I think thats the way it works out.
    Sire was 1/2 alpine 1/4 Nubian & 1/4 Saneen, doe is 1/2 nubian 1/2 saneen.

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

He would be 1/4 Alpine, 3/8 Nubian and 3/8 Saanen.
    No Boer in there?

Congrats!

5. Starsmom

Oh yeah, it would be 1/4 alpine...duhhh...I need to work on my math.

No boer in there at all.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS! What a pretty fellow he is! Good luck with him, and his mama, and the one doe that still needs to kid. Good luck with them. Bye.

7. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

Congradulations, Avalanche is a handsome boy! Let us know how things progress with training him to cart when he gets older. We have never carted with our boys, but the children did take them backpacking a few times. It was fun.

8. Starsmom

They both seem to be doing fine. Blanche is still very swollen and obviously sore. However, she seems to be doing everything right as far as taking care of her little one. I did give her a shot of penicillin today, I figured it couldn't hurt and make help her since she did have an assisted birth. I'll keep an eye on her, she is eating and drinking, so I'm sure she is fine. He got a dose of nutradrench today as well. He really didn't seem to need it as he appears very healthy and loves to play, but figured it wouldn't hurt him either.

My other doe, Clarice is getting a huge bag. If she doesn't kid in a day or two, I'm gonna assume she was bred 10 days later. After she was bred she appeared to be in heat again, so we bred her again. Not sure which dates took. If her bag continues to increase in size, should I milk her?

9. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    You buck is beautiful. Congratulations.

Regarding milking the pregnant doe. I did this for the first time this year. Actually I had never heard of it - guess I miised it the first time I read the book. But as Winona's day got obviosly closer and closer I went back and reread the chapter on kidding and it said to go ahead and I did. Everything worked out ok. My fear is that I was going to induce labor, and since I didn't have a due date, I didn't really want to bring it on too soon. The milk I got looked like it was mostly colostrum, I froze it, and she produced even more. It worked out ok - good luck.

Anne
    Cowgirlracer

10. Starsmom

I milked the pregnant doe today. Poor thing looked like she was gonna pop. Will it cause her to produce more when I milk her, or does it just relieve pressure? Should I milk her everyday? Do I milk just enough to lighten the load so to speak, or milk her out completely?

The little buckling is so much fun..he just loves to run and play. can't wait for him to have playmates.

11. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Milking her could cause her to go into labor REALLY soon, which in your case probly isn't a bad thing. Good Luck with your pregnant doe. BYe.