Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A prominent Harvard student shared his regular trek to class past homeless residents sleeping on the streets in cold Cambridge weather.

David Hogg, an anti-gun advocate, attends Harvard College. He became a school safety proponent after his alma mater, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, experienced a shooting at the hands of a student.

"I walk to class every day passing people sleeping in the cold on the ground- outside an institution with over $53 billion, in a state that purports to be one of the most progressive in the country, In the richest country on the planet," Hogg said Sunday. "Our issue isn’t resources- it’s priorities."

DAVID HOGG SAYS HE'LL CONTINUE WEARING A MASK OUTDOORS SO PEOPLE DON'T MISTAKE HIM FOR A CONSERVATIVE

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/david-hogg-says-he-passes-people-sleeping-in-the-cold-on-the-ground-outside-harvard-every-day/ar-AARjnwM?ocid=msedgntp
So what is the most privileged Mr. Hogg doing personally to remedy the situation besides stepping over them so's not to disturb their slumber?

Forehead Nose Eyebrow Mouth Eyelash

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
In the article, he states that he appreciates the work being done by non profits and faith based charities, but that they shouldn't have to be doing the work our government could solve in a year.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the article, he states that he appreciates the work being done by non profits and faith based charities, but that they shouldn't have to be doing the work our government could solve in a year.
Mere lip service.

If you are going to mount a national platform and vent your spleen, you should at least have first set a personal example, otherwise you are just another do nothing noise maker, stirring the pot for your own selfish motives.

As for, "It's the government's job."

“The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.”― Ronald Reagan

“You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”― Adrian Rogers

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
I agree. It isn't lip service however, it is a mindset.
He is described in the article as "a prominent student" at Harvard.
It is the government's job to take care of the homeless; is it also their job to take care of those who wish to go to Harvard?

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
2,159 Posts
That's a great quote:
“You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.”― Adrian Rogers
If there are folks sleeping on the streets, they most likely are:
(a) insane,
(b) alcoholics,
(c) drug users,
(d) all of the above.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It is the government's job to take care of the homeless; is it also their job to take care of those who wish to go to Harvard?
The causes of homelessness are myriad and due to that fact, there is no easy answer to remedy it.

To use the government model of merely throwing money at it is adding tinder to an already raging fire.

I and my family of four young children and a wife experienced homelessness for a time, we dug our way out of it.

I will use the recent unemployment compensation boost as an example of a good idea turned disaster. Why would someone who is knocking down $1000 a week have any incentive to return to work?

They have none.

Money for nothing and your chicks for free only leads to the ruin of any person or nation.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse [generous gifts] from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.- Alexander Tytler circa 1787.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Is it too late for abortion?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's a great quote:

If there are folks sleeping on the streets, they most likely are:
(a) insane,
(b) alcoholics,
(c) drug users,
(d) all of the above.
Thank you.

Not to be rude, however, do you have data for that postulation?

The insane need help as they are not in their right minds.

Alcoholism is a choice.

Drug addiction is a choice.

In either of the latter two cases the afflicted has neither the will and/or desire to change, as there are more than a few outlets for assistance in overcoming both.

I went through a divorce in 2002 after a 26 year marriage. I lived out of suitcases for five years and at times slept on the ground while I built my life back from nothing, as I walked away with just the clothes on my back. Her life was relatively undisturbed. She got the house, the car and not a stick of furniture out of place.

I can assure you that I was none of the above.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Thank you.

Not to be rude, however, do you have data for that postulation?

The insane need help as they are not in their right minds.

Alcoholism is a choice.

Drug addiction is a choice.

In either of the latter two cases the afflicted has neither the will and/or desire to change, as there are more than a few outlets for assistance in overcoming both.

I went through a divorce in 2002 after a 26 year marriage. I lived out of suitcases for five years and at times slept on the ground while I built my life back from nothing, as I walked away with just the clothes on my back. Her life was relatively undisturbed. She got the house, the car and not a stick of furniture out of place.

I can assure you that I was none of the above.
Alcoholism and drug addiction are conditions that can stem from, or lead to, a mental health issue. Getting a divorce is as much if not more of a choice than choosing to be an alcoholic.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alcoholism and drug addiction are conditions that can stem from, or lead to, a mental health issue. Getting a divorce is as much if not more of a choice than choosing to be an alcoholic.
Not everything that affects mankind can be attributed to mental illness or PTSD.

In most cases it is immaturity, wanting to have your cake and eat it too and piss poor decision making.

Who said that divorce wasn't a choice?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
You are implying that people who are alcoholics have a choice, and that homelessness as a result of alcoholism is not as noble as homelessness due to divorce.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You are implying that people who are alcoholics have a choice, and that homelessness as a result of alcoholism is not as noble as homelessness due to divorce.
Are you spoiling for a scrap, or are you playing at being obtuse?

It is not a question of nobility.

I believe that alcoholics do have a choice in both drinking and homelessness and those who are divorced have a choice about homelessness as well.

I also believe that homelessness serves a certain purpose for those experiencing it, because if something is too painful or uncomfortable and the minuses outweigh the pluses, you will apply yourself to change the situation.

• Wow
Reactions: RJ2019
348 Posts
So what is the most privileged Mr. Hogg doing personally to remedy the situation besides stepping over them so's not to disturb their slumber?

View attachment 102849

Drug addicts are not homeless people.

Drug addicts are Drug addicts, nothing else matters to them.

Give Drug addicts a home, they will go to the drugs.

Guess how I know this...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It is the government's job to take care of the homeless....
I just checked...I don't see that anywhere in The Constitution.

To solve aproblem, one must first correctly define it. Most large cities have provided more than enough free shelter and food for The Homeless. It goes unused for the most part.

There are the temporary homeless-- the beaten wife who finally has had enough and takes the kids and lives in the van for four days before she finally makes use of the local social sevices to get some temporary help. These people are not incompetent and have at least some support system. It doesn't take them long to recover and get on with their lives...The Permanant Homeless WANT to live that way. They are overwhelmingly the hard core (schizophrienic) mentally ill. They don't trust the govt, so avoid the established shelters. They are unemployable, so more jobs/better economy won't help.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
I just checked...I don't see that anywhere in The Constitution.

To solve aproblem, one must first correctly define it. Most large cities have provided more than enough free shelter and food for The Homeless. It goes unused for the most part.

There are the temporary homeless-- the beaten wife who finally has had enough and takes the kids and lives in the van for four days before she finally makes use of the local social sevices to get some temporary help. These people are not incompetent and have at least some support system. It doesn't take them long to recover and get on with their lives...The Permanant Homeless WANT to live that way. They are overwhelmingly the hard core (schizophrienic) mentally ill. They don't trust the govt, so avoid the established shelters. They are unemployable, so more jobs/better economy won't help.
You are right, my quote isn't there. I phrased that poorly and did not mean that was what I believed, but rather what Junior Boss Hogg believes.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Part of the problem is people like that think they ARE helping by being a voice for ....fill in the blank...

This from the free wifi at the Starbucks with a tripple foam, soy latte...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Part of the problem is people like that think they ARE helping by being a voice for ....fill in the blank...

This from the free wifi at the Starbucks with a tripple foam, soy latte...

That's right...

I almost forgot.

To the Hoggs of the world, vociferousness equals actual caring and action, thereby excusing them from actually getting their hands dirty.

And where does a fellow member of the proletariat get off using free wifi and sipping lattes?

·
Registered
718 Posts
And where does a fellow member of the proletariat get off using free wifi and sipping lattes?
=== ===
What POSSIBLY could you mean ?? Like these necessities are like as important as they say oxygen is, or something like that... Oh barista.... I'll have another latte... and make sure the foam is thicker...

Sarcasm off...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts