David brown

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rob30, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone know where the breather for the hydraulics is on a DB 880 selectomatic? I had a post about water in the hydraulic fluid and was told to change the fluid and the rest of te water would propably evaporate out the breather. But I can't find one on my tractor.
    Also I my temp gauge doen't work. I want to replace it, but I am not sure if a standard gauge will stand up to the weather, or do I have to find a gauge specifically for tractors.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I would buy a tractor temp guage, an A+I aftermarket would be fine but not Cantire. I actually can't remember the DB having a breather.......

3. ninny

ninny Well-Known Member

4. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Take the cap where you put hydraulic oil in, remove it and flip it upside down. If it has a screen/ wire material on the outer ring of the underside of your cap, this is the breather apparatus. Common on older equipment. If it does have this, wash it thoroughly with diesel fuel and put cap back on.
    If not the case, inspect all sides and top of resevoir casing which holds hydraulic oil for an external breather or tube.

5. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

My DB 880 or 990s don't have a breather for the transmission (other than the dip stick) the idea is to get the transmission oil up to temperature to try to evaporate any water in the sump. if you felt a larger breather would help (and it may if you can get the fluid up to temp.) you could always screw out the fill plug on the right top of the trans case and install some pipe fittings to form a upside down "P" trap and stuff some course steel wool into the opening. there is a cover plate at the rear but that would get in the way of the top link.

i put in a off the shelf temp gauge in my #1 990 a decade or two ago and it does not take on rain water.

6. Ol'Reb

Ol'Reb aka Mr T-Bone

I also have a DB 880 Selectamatic. I just got it back from the tractor shop today... My 3 point quit working last year, (won't raise or lower). Anyway, my tractor mechanic can't figure out what the problem is. Without the 3 point the tractor is pretty much useless to me. Any thoughts???

7. Ross

It has a lock that mechanically keep it raised has that been turned to lock? Left hand side at the back a small curved handle by the rockshaft. Probably not that anyhow. My brother needs to answer this and he's away, but there's a spring loaded ball (I think) under a plate by the control which gets out of alignment but is easy enough to put back. I have an 880 tranny/rear end out back I'll take a look and see if it jogs my memory. YTmag has a DB section and hopefully Elmer is still there you could ask there too.

8. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

there is a plate on the rear housing near where the axels attach sort of egg shaped with two scew holes. when this plate is removed there are two slot tip screw caps that you remove slowly , then fish the springs out and the ball berings in the bottem . this mechanisim plugs up and will not let the fluid circulate. hope ross can post the hydralulic schematic from the repair manuel.

9. Ross

I can't promise that in a timely manner I don't see the service manual and I really have to cut hay tomorrow. I will keep looking though.