Dave Ramsey anyone??

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by BarbG, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BarbG

BarbG Well-Known Member

Like him?? Dislike him?? Works?? Doesn't?? What do you think?? BarbG

2. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

Like him, works.

Some dislike him because he's Christain and his books qoute the Bible, but if those folks can look beyond that, they can easily see that the principles are sound.

The only other detractions I hear people say is that they want to pay down the higest interest one first and not the lowest balance. But Ramsey advocates paying down the lowest first and then snowball those payments, etc, etc. he's big on giving you fast results - thus you pay off the lowest bill first and can see that you are making progress from the start.

Also, personally I would like to pay down my truck loan first. I would rather have my secured debt (the truck) paid for and offically mine before I pay off a unsecured debt (credit card). I have compromised... I am paying down one credit card, then my truck and then the last credit card.

If I was looking straight at Ramsey's methods I would pay both credit cards off first before the truck (But difference will be under $1K), but if I consider other people (Suzi Orzman (sp?)) I would attack the highest interst first which would also put my truck loan as the last thing paid off.

So although I don't follow the letter of his law, I do recommend people looking to have good finanical health to consider his teachings.

On a personal note:

I have FINALLY gotten serious.... I have a legal issue to take care of first... will have th money for the lawyer by end of month and should have a $2K emergency fund by the end of Febuary. Then in March I start to snowball.

If I did my math correctly and I have no decline in income I will be debt free ($29.5K - no mortage) in October of 2008! That's less than 2 years! I am so excited!

In fact I've never been more excited to pay bills! :)

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

4. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I listen to him on the radio at times, and think he gives great advice. It is so easy to charge things on credit, then pay the piper later on down the line. He probably helps alot of folks who will listen to him.

5. travlnusa

travlnusa Well-Known Member

I like his message, but got tired of the radio show, as it was always the same answer to any question.

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I have never heard him, don't do TV or radio on that level, what does he have to say? Be aware that I am very self censoring.

7. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

You can listen to him online put dave ramsey on google. He is on from 2-5pm est.

8. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Easy to read but more a cheerleader than an astute financial advisor. But speaks with experience to those in trouble.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Was doing his program before he wrote it. :) Don't use credit cards to excess, don't carry over a balance. Pay cash for cars. Have an emergency fund.

He's making millions teaching common sense about money to a generation (or two) that doesn't have any.

10. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I LOVE WHAT HE TEACHES!!!!!!!

It does work, and I am a testament to that!!!! My wife and I sleep a million times better after becoming debt free except for the mortgage. In fact, we NEVER fight about money, which makes life so much easier.

Just follow the plan, it helps motivate your efforts. Why try to re-invent the wheel? It has worked for thousands and thousands already!!!

clove

11. moongirl

moongirl Well-Known Member

Have his book. Love his common sense approach. Trying right now to get DH on board so we can get it together!

12. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

My church offers his 12 week class. We took the first half and love it. I still use th envelope system, though our emergency fund has been depleted because of an emergency and now we have to resart. I want to have an emergency fund to cover my emergency fund. He is so great to listen too, and you can tell he really cares about helping people get out of debt.

13. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I think he has very practical, sound advice. Yes, he is a pretty religious guy, but it's easy to skim over those parts in the book. (This coming from an atheist.) I've yet to listen to his radio show. I think the book was good enough to get us started. We have set up the emergency fund, and made a list of all of our debts. We have begun attacking our debt, but have had to put the huge payments on hold and save a little more with our baby due this month. We have no idea what we're getting ourselves into with a kid, what kind of supplies we'll need, what the medical bills are going to be like, and whatnot. Hopefully we'll be able to get right back on the program once things settle down.

Of course, if you are a wishywashy type that can't set or stick to goals, this commonsense approach will just not work for you. It's not really for the faint of heart and soul.

14. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Like him, have his books and have listened to his radio program.

15. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

From what I have seen, his approach is mostly common sense. I figured out most of it. Of course, it TOOK me a couple of years, but I figured it out!

His main advantage is that he is an excellent teacher. So, he teaches and his students benefit. It is a good thing.

16. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I listen to him when ever I want to go shopping. He keeps me at home.
    Funny thing is about Dave Ramsey......I was watching Fox on Christmas day and he was on. Telling everyone to stay home the next day and save their money. Then some guy comes on and blasts him about ruining the economy and people need to spend to help the country and that's how the world goes around, etc. Let poor DR have it. So DR argues, says it's not his job or anyone person's job to go into debt to help the economy. So they go back to the other guy.....then Dave leaves. I am not kidding. They went back to Dave for a response....Dave was GONE. Wow. I guess Dave is not used to that or he didn't like it or something. I was giggling at both of them.

17. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

maybe he just didn't want to continue to repeat himself to someone who obviously wouldn't listen anyway? i often feel that way.

anyway, my church is starting the class soon, and i'm looking forward to it for the simple fact that, yes, i've heard the basics, and am beginning to follow them, and yes, it is common sense, but i think that working through the workbook will allow it to become a habit more easily, and we'll stick with it better. we've paid off 2 bills so far in the last 3 months, and are working on the next. then the credit card, the vehicles, and the house. the house, should be paid off in 6 or fewer years, on a note that has 28 years left on it....

18. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Sencable guy good show but dont have it as the primary thing you are doing or it will get old fast, He pretty much repeats the same mautra agin and agin.THATS GOOD but boring! So after a while you have to listen with one ear and pick out the new situations to see any variety.

19. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

I have had some interesting conversations with folks who take him a bit too seriously an end up as non-thinking drones. One guy swore he would never have anything to do with credit ever. I asked if he knew that your credit rating is used on everthing from pricing your car and home insurance, to deciding if you will be hired for a job? He was completely unable to process this information. If his Messiah, Dave, told him all credit was evil, that's all he needed to know. I presently have dirt cheap car insurance. Several other companies have offered to beat my cost, all failed. One reason I get a great rate is that I have a great credit score. There is a big difference betwwen being in debt, and having good credit. I wonder if some of Dave's drone miss that point?

20. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

Dave does tend to say the same thing over and over, but he also has new listeners come aboard every day.
    I still learn something new, and get a better understanding of new things every day. In fact, I am listening to Dave right now, even after two years of listening.
    He is basically new to the Indianapolis market, even though I have been listening for several years on a low powered station in another city. Can you image the thousands of new listeners he has picked up in Indy alone?
    clove