Daughter has strep throat :(

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Becca65, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

My DD15 has strep throat.. We took her to the doctor today she was put on amoxicillian.. She been having strange symptoms yesterday she had the sore throat, hard to swallow has thrown up a few times, and having a few achy pains in her chest and rib area, that has pretty much went away.. Tonight her heart has been skipping beats on and off, the last time she had strep her heart did that too, why would it be doing that? figures after we went to the doc these strange things would be happening, our regular doc is on vacation, and i don't really care for the doc taking his place.. :rolleyes: but if it's still doing that tomorrow i will have to take her back in.. DH was saying should we take her to ER? I don't know i'm concerned.. I hope it's part of this strep thing, anyone have any words or wisdom?
    thanks..

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

PLZ take her to the E R now as thats not Normal.

3. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

She's allergic to her antibiotics, that's why her heart is mis-firing.

My husband and I both are allergic to sulfa medications and we have permnant heart damage due to those antibiotics.

I'd definitly take her to the ER and ask for penicillian, it's the only thing that works on us.

I hope she gets better!

Kat

4. Ozark-Dew

Ozark-Dew AMDG

Strep can also travel to the heart, but she likely hasn't been sick long enough for that to have happened.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

If she's having cardiac irregularities then she needs to be seen by a doctor right away, most especially if it's possible that she's allergic to the antibiotic she's taking.

A couple of months ago at the age of forty four I had my first ever bout of strep throat. Took two courses of penicillin to lick it. I've never been so sick in my life. My wife got it several years ago and for her it was like a moderately bad cold. Strep can be quite variable in how it affects an individual.

.....Alan.

6. Becca65

She's had Amoxicillian before when she had strep, It quit doing whatever it was doing. I have to work tomorrow and i will ask the doctor working there, could be just the infection itself it's been known to affect organs.. I had strep a few years ago, thought i was going to die!!
    My DH is allergic to penicillian well anything in the cillian family, but he broke out in hives..

7. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I don't have any advice but I sure hope she gets better soon. :(

/VM

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I was given Pennicillin for an infection and did okay, but the second time I reacted violently and nearly died. The allergy doesn't always shoew up the first time a med is given. How is your daughter doing?

9. Becca65

Thats very true sancraft, you could develop an allergic reaction to anything even though you never had one before..
    Well she stayed home from school again, and she had that heart thing this morning again, thats scaring me she said she was feeling somewhat better, she's been drinking alot of water, tried eating some today but then around 1pm she threw it all up, she looks horrible dark circles under her eyes, pale look to her skin.. no fever though actually it was 97.4, kinda low really.. and earlier she was saying she was getting that sharp pain in her chest again.. *sigh* i'm worried.. anyways we have our DD5 home I don't want to get her around anymore germs then she needs to be, Dad took DD15 to the clinic tonight, we need to find out whats going on here.. sounds more then strep to me.. I have no family around here that would come over and get DD5 ready for bed and stay with her while i went along too.. and I feel bad about that .. *sigh* prayers would be good.. i know there are alot of bad virus's going around, and flu and strep.. This weekend she was suppose to go to an honors band thing and i don't think she will be able to do that either..
    thanks for asking!! I will let ya know when they get home.

10. via media

via media Tub-thumper

:( Poor thing. I'm glad she's getting checked out.

Please keep us posted.

/VM

11. Becca65

Well, she's going to be ok, the doctor said it was all viral we're waiting on the throat culture though.. He said if the culture is negative it's a virus and she can discontinue the antibiotics. I hope she feels better tomorrow!!
    The chest pains and irregular heartbeats are all due to this virus going around, he thinks the pains are muscular because alot of the time advil helps the pain.
    well of course i say only a virus, but sometimes a virus can be as miserable as an infection.

12. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Wow! I had no idea a regular virus could affect the heart like that!

I'm glad to hear she'll be okay - I'm sure you're relieved to have an official diagnosis.

/VM

13. Becca65

I'm glad we took her in for a peace of mind for everyone. This is a strange virus though, i almost wonder if it's the flu, she's so achy all over little jabs of pain here and there, the chest pain scared me, but he figured that was all muscular. she stayed home again today she's going to have alot of makeup work to do, High School theres always so much work!! I called to get her some work..
    But i just want her to feel better..!!

14. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

From what I read here I think your instincts of not liking the doctor coverign for your regular doc are spot on. Why on earth did that doctor diagnose strep without taking a culture? It is a simple test that reads in a short time right in the office. I am assuming that the culture that was taken at the clinic was sent for more detailed testing? I would be sure to let my doctor know of this error by his cover when he gets back. Antibiotics should not be taken for non-infections. This doc sounds like he really goofed here.

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

15. Becca65

Yea, the rapid strep screen was outdated and always tests neg on patients, even when they do have strep. :rolleyes: so we swabbed her throat and sent it to the lab and today the results were neg.. they did one last night to and that was neg.. with her history of strep in the past and the way her throat looked, it was preventive i guess..
    anyways with it being neg, the doctor last night said to discontinue the antibiotcs if that was the case.. and she's feeling alot better today.. I'm so glad..

16. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

Just an FYI: Amoxicillin is a form of Penicillin. My DD suddenly became allergic to amoxicillin when she was 3, had taken it before then for ear infections and such just fine. Paternal grandmother and her father are both allergic to penicillin.

17. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

I've come to believe that anytime the Doctor doesn't know what's wrong the diagnosis is "It's just a virus" which translates to I don't know what's wrong with you and I'm not interested in finding out....you'll either get better on your own or end up in the hospital.
    Just my perhaps not so humble opinion.

Best wishes for your DD. I say if you don't feel comfortable with the diagnosis trust your own insticts over the Dr. and take to the ER.

Donna

18. Becca65

True, alot of the time they just don't know so they call it a virus.. she wasn't running a fever maybe thats why he figured a virus.
    She's feeling alot better tonight, she's eaten today and kept everything down, this is the first day!! :baby04: and she wants to go to school tomorrow so thats a positive thing too!
    thanks everyone for well wishes!! they are appreciated :)