Homesteading Forum banner

Daughter got her drivers license

493 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  morrowsmowers 
#1 ·
Well, it's kinda sad.. but i'm proud of her it's a big step.. sooo this happened earlier today, she was going to Meijer with a friend in the van she calls whenever she gets to one of her destinations, it's part of the rules with driving the car..
DH is listening to his police scanner he picks up the phone with a concerned look on his face, and i say whats going on?? he's trying to keep it from me but he couldn't he heard there was a car accident where my daughter would of been and they said it was a white van with and there are injuries.. describes our van, my heart dropped into my stomach when we couldn't get ahold of her, we tried 3 times, I said "please go over there.. I was so scared almost crying.. finally I got go ahold of her and said "Are you ok"?? she said yea why?? then i explained it to her and she said oh man mom she felt so bad, she said i couldn't get the phone and her friend couldnt find it in her purse.. *sigh* it's so hard to be home and hearing that.. Phew thank god she's fine..!!!

#3 ·
I think kids' level of excitement equals our level of fear when they start driving. Those learner's permit hours were a killer for me! It takes awhile for us to be convinced they are safe and cautious drivers. DD got her license more than a year ago and I am finally okay with her driving. It helps that my neighbors tell me they've never seen her drive fast or stupid and would certainly tell me if she did.

2 kids in the neighborhood, who got their licenses the same time as DD, flipped on the ice last winter. They weren't hurt, cars were totalled, but it really affected me deeply, I had so much sympathy for their moms!

#5 ·
Wow, Im glad it wasnt your daughter involved in the accident. I remember my nerves turning to jello when my first son started driving. Its also around when my hair started going gray. Second son was easier for some reason, probably because there were no nerves left.
I dont know how my parents got thru it without cellphones.

~~Sumer

#6 ·
It's exciting.. I like it that if she needs something from the store she can go herself..
She's a very careful driver, obeys the speed limits, I feel comfortable with letting her take the car.. I've heard of some parents that didn't even bother with doing all the hours of driving before they got there lisences, that to me is very scary, I would defintly worry then.

#7 ·
I like that if I need something from town, DD is eager to run those errands for me! The first few months of her license, she would run out of here so quick, she'd forget the list and cash. She would call me from town and ask again what I wanted.

#9 ·
One of our learning to drive rituals was to take the driver to the church parking lot when it was icy. Better to learn that way than on the highway. We also let the driver know that the driver is the one who is responsible for everybody in the car: responsible for their safety, for their lives. They always insisted that passengers buckle up, and I think it is because of the feeling of responsibility.

#10 ·
You had my heart in my throat reading your OP!!! I have 2 out on the road and know how scarey it is. Even now when they are 19 & 20, I still tense up when I hear a siren.

Our children may be good driver's but you never know about the person in the other car. I had the scare of my life last Friday when the ex called me up and told me he & my son were in a bad car accident on their way home from here. They were going about 50 mph and a car turned left in front of them. Both of them walked away with only minor injury, passenger in other car went to the hospital.

Thank the Lord your DD was safe

#11 ·
I know how your DH felt. My 17 yo. DS is studying for his learners permit. I took him into town where he got picked up by his boss in a black pickup truck. I just got home, flipped on the scanner, and heard an accident in town with injuries involving a black pickup. Fortunately it was not them. He has been trying for the permit for several months but can't pass the 50 question test -- you need 41 correct to pass and he gets around 31-33 each time. I told him he will need to pay for his share of the insurance and gas -- he is presently working almost full time and still saves no money -- he wants me to give him a course in financial management!

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.