DARN..Oxford Ewe

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Tonight I decided to go and candle some chicken eggs that one of my hens was laying on, since it was dark. (This is about sheep, TRUST ME)

At this time when I was done it was 8:40. So I decided to check on the sheep, and see the lean-to and other shelter, my Dad added Straw to them today. I went out and found my Oxford ewe standing as if she was peeing, and then I noticed the dropped belly and grunting. I went and got my sister, and we got her into the barn, then I saw feet. I didn't think anything was out of the ordinary. and then I took a closer look because she hadn't had any udder, and she didn't look dialated. Sure enough no udder and she was not dialated at all.

We called the Vet to see what he could do, and pretty much he said that if we had Oxytocin, to give her a shot-and we don't have any. Next he said since she isn't dialated there isn't much more he could do unless she was having much more trouble.

So we waited half an hour and went down and checked on her and she had her little premature lamb.

So she had one lamb, and we left her to be by her self I will check on her early morning and see if she had any more and to check on her.

The lamb needed about 1-2 months left, not sure on the stage it was at, it was fully developed, little hooves, no wool well very little, pink looking.

It would have been a purebred Registerable Oxford Ram lamb!!! Makes me mad sometimes. What do you think could have happened? Everything has been normal the last while, except that we added straw, maybe the sheep were all running around and she hurt something? There isn't any ice as everything is covered with snow, so slipping doesn't seem to be an issue.

Any ideas?

Melissa

2. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

We raise registered Oxfords, so of course I'm more sympathetic to your situation than if it were any other kind of lamb! You've mentioned in the past that you just have the one Oxford, isn't that right? How did she come to be bred to another Oxford? I don't remember any mention of you having an Oxford ram. Was she sent out, or did you bring in a new ram? I'm asking because often this kind of abortion is from infections that are passed sexually among sheep.

There are a number of causes of mid-to-late-term abortion, thankfully all rare and mostly preventable. Here's a good link with descriptions:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/110305.htm

Fingers crossed that this is an isolated case and that the rest of your lambing season goes smoothly and without problems!

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Take the ewes temp, and isolate the ewe to be safe, you don't need an abortion storm. You could take the fetus to the lab in Kemptville for a PM. These provincial necropsies never did us much good but were educational all the same.

4. ONThorsegirl

SilverVista- We have one Oxford Ewe and and Oxford Ram. Along with the others, we Have used out Oxford Ram to cross to our other ewes.

I have the fetus in a feed bag right now, out in the barn so its probably frizen now. We will see what we will do with it.

Melissa

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

And watch out YOU don't catch anything.

6. ONThorsegirl

Thanks everyone, so my Ewe is doing much better, we still have her inside. She is eatting well and will soon put her back outside. If only my Oxfords would breed this time of year so I could at least get a lamb out of her!! We will let her have her time and rebreed her one more time, and hope she lambs next year. Last year would have been her first lambing and she never bred! So far not such a good outlook on the pure Oxfords, the cross of Oxford NCC have been nice.

Melissa