Darn Moles tearing up my lawn!!!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gmom, Sep 2, 2004.

1. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for getting rid of them. My DH has actually dug up several by standing over the tunnel watching for movement. I'm afraid the neighbors that see him are going to have him committed.
    I have heard castor bean will work to keep them out but I looking for a faster solution for this year. Apparently the larva of the Japanesse Beetle makes a wonderful Mole snack and we had lots of the beetles this year.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

Cat's help.
    #1 , they eat them
    #2 , drop the contents of a cat box in holes.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I had a problem for a while, and one day by accident, I broke an egg near a pretty prominent hole. I grabbed the egg, shoved the whole thing, shell and all, down the hole with a stick, and I never had a problem there again. Maybe the shell bugged their noses, maybe the egg rotted after a while and deterred them, but all I know is it worked.

4. Jerry baker says the same thing you hinted at they are there for the grubs get rid of the grubs and they leave on their own.

5. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I borrow my dads mole trap. You put it over a recent tunnel and when they move the ground again with digging, it triggers these big teeth that go into the ground and stab it. you never have to see the dead body. when you see the trap triggered, just move it to another active spot. I always just borrow his but I think he said you could buy them at hardwares for 10 dollars or so.

mel-

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Between the moles and the voles last summer, I couldn't even mow around here.

:rolleyes:

Two things helped: 1. I got rid of a bunch of wood piles; 2. CASTOR OIL!! purchased from the drug store, a mess of it --- get the ground after a good rain, cover it well with castor oil by spraying, then water in.

Mwaaaala! No more moles. :yeeha:

7. bornanew

bornanew Well-Known Member

My husband does animal damage control trapping of moles, gophers, raccoons,
    woodchucks, etc. for people in and around the twin cities. The only thing that works like Mel said is trapping, every thing else will just get washed away, or is just temporary. One or two moles can do alot of damage. First you need to go around and stomp down all existing tunnels and wait for new one to pop up to find which ones are active and the set a mole trap. It can take quite a while to get the hang of mole trapping and you will get alot of misses. Just keep at it. There is no bait to use and opening alot of air to the tunnel will only cause the mole to plug it up. This is the only permenant way to get rid of them. Also know if your neighbor has them they will move into your yard or field, and this will be an on going endevor but worth the trouble. I hope this helps and good luck.
    Born Anew

8. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

OH GOD! I can't even believe I'm going to tell you this! We have an infestation of star nosed moles in the perrenial garden (they are BIG). I saw some movement near a hole in the mulch, and , joking, said to my son, "pee down that hole, and see if the mole comes out!" Well, HE DID! about 30 seconds later old mr. mole came scrambling out of the hole. DS then sprayed him with the hose until I could get a bucket. I tossed the bucket over him, and then called my border collie. She finished him off in about a second (don't worry, the hose rinsed the pee off!). So, there is the secret. Urine. Gross, but effective! :haha:

9. Kathryn L.Holck

Kathryn L.Holck Active Member

I have heard of chewing gum. And the only kind that works to rid moles is juicy fruit. Unsure why.

10. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We tried all of the above and the only thing that works for us long term is the trap.