Darn horns!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by fishhead, Aug 20, 2006.

1. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Yesterday I noticed one of the wethers had a partially closed eye. On a closer look the eye looks nasty. Off color and reddish. I'm pretty sure he got horned. He acts normally. :grump:

Then this morning I noticed another had broken off a deformed horn. He was frostbitten as a newly born kid and the horn grew funny. Well it's gone now.

Is there anything I need to do for the one with the horned eye?

Is there any signs I need to watch for?

Also, is there anything I need to do or watch for on the one that lost his horn? The flies aren't bothering him at this time.

Thanks.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

are you sure it was a horn to the eye? what kind of hay do they have? or brows? sometimes something small can get into the eye,

can you discribe the damaged eye?

depending on what exactly happend there are a few differint things you can do,

as to the lost horn it should be ok, just watch that no flys deposit eggs and your ok

3. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Just give the broken horn a shot of blue spray or other antiseptic spray until it dries up - it will be fine. My big Saanen has scurs that she breaks on a regular basis - they bleed a little, but don't cause problems.

Are you sure the other one got horned? It could be a bit of hay, as KSALguy suggests, or it could possible be pinkeye. (Hope not!) It wouldn't hurt to put some triple antibiotic ointment in it, a couple of times a day until it clears up. One of my does had an ulcerated cornea from a horn or hay, and that's what I did - it cleared up beautifully. If it's pinkeye, you can mess about with ointments until the cows come home, but a shot of oxytetracyline into the eye (syringe only! no needle) will clear it up quickly.

4. fishhead

Thanks for the help.

No, I'm not sure it was a horn to the eye but they way the dominant wether throws his horns around and slams everyone I just figure it was going to happen sooner or later.

I don't feed hay because they have access to browse 24 hours a day. It's golden rod, trefoil, willows, aspen and various "weeds". He could have been stabbed by a branch or gotten whipped somehow.

This is one of the wild wethers and is very hard to catch but I could grab him at the grain trough a couple of times until he wises up. The eye looks reddish, purple.

Should I try to grab him tonight and flush it with oxy?

Also, is there some way for one person to handle a 50 pound goat without it turning into mud wrestling? I've noticed if I lay my doe down on her side she gives up after a short while and lies still. Hog tie him? I could trim his hooves at the same time if this works.

Thanks for the help.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine go on the milkstand for treatments and hoof trimming, since their heads can be easily restrained. If you do not have a milkstand, you might clip his collar to a rail and get someone to lean against him.

My first goats had horns, except for the polled ones. I kept the polled and sold the horned. Never again!

mary

6. fishhead

Unfortunately I don't have any of that. The goats are in an open pasture with a temporary shelter made of dock sections.

I can wrestle him to the ground but one or both of us could get hurt. He's got those darned horns. If he were mine and I intended on keeping him I would band the horns after the flies are gone this fall.

I did have to give a larger wild wether pen shots and put a dog collar on him and a hose tether which I left on during the period I gave him shots. He just dragged it along as he browsed.

Should I consider a oxytet flush or the triple antibiotic cream?

7. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Horns make great 'handles'. Just grap by the horns and turn him onto the ground and sit on him.

8. fishhead

I'll try that except the sitting part. I'm pretty solid and close to 190. That's a bit heavy for this little guy to support.

After reading the posts I've decided to put some triple antibiotics on his eye.

9. pookshollow

If you start with the triple antibiotic - you can always up the ante if that doesn't do the trick. I know I mucked about for a while with my retiree goat that had pinkeye. It would seem to clear up then it would come back. Chances are though, that your guy just has a scratch.

Do you have someone else to give you a hand? I know that you can sit them on their buts, like you were shearing a sheep, to restrain them. Otherwise, if you can rig up a rope halter and snug him right up to the fence so he can't move his head - he's not going to like you putting stuff in his eye! That's what my vet used last week, and it worked really well.

10. fishhead

I just looked at the triple antibiotic label and it says do NOT use it in the eye. Now what?

11. pookshollow

I'd be inclined to use it anyway. The stuff I used was the no-name for humans. If you look at what's in the special eye ointment, it's the same antibiotics, about the only difference is the tube is 10 times smaller and costs the same (and it's a little easier to get in the eye).

How does the eye look now? Something else you could do, just to soothe the eye, is bathe it with cold tea - something my vet taught me years and years ago, when my horse sliced her cornea open.

12. fishhead

Well the eye looks much better tonight so I chose to forego the treatment. It's still a bit closed but if tonight is any indication it will be fine. He seems to be able to see out of it.

Thanks for the help.

I seem to remember the vet giving me a tube of triple for my dogs eye one time.

13. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

They make something called Terramycin for animal's eyes. You can either get from the vet or a feed store.
    I disbud all my goats - the Boers too, even the wethers intended for meat. I just don't want to deal with horn injuries and you can't breed polled to polled.