Dangerous Bugs & Stuff

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by albionjessica, May 27, 2006.

1. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

The spider bite thread on the Countryside forum got me thinking about the topic of dangerous creatures. Does anyone know of a good website or source to find out what types of dangerous/poisonous insects, snakes, spiders, etc reside in which states?

What do you all have experience with on your homesteads? How do you deal with them?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a search for your State...usually States have agricultural websites, etc. that will tell you about these things.

We fight water moccasins and black widow spiders every year. Spiders get stomped, snakes get shot.

3. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

You're better off asking native folk who live there year-round. I know my home county's extension office swears up, down, left, right and center that there are no brown recluse spiders in our area. My Dad's doctor reported Dad's necrotic spider bite from a brown spider but, without the actual spider, the county continues to insist the spiders are not found locally. You would also get the impression that we have a rattlesnake problem. Benton County has an abundant rattler population. I've been in that area my whole life, though, and you plain won't ever see a snake in most of the county. There are two spots, two, where you might find one: the ridge and the Badger Canyon baseball field. Massive dens there, the ballfield is unusable because it's too dangerous.

Ask the locals. The county might not be so accurate.

4. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) This is a great site!

http://bugguide.net/node/view/15740

and here: http://forums.insecthobbyist.com/ And for reptiles, here:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/

The nice thing about these sites is that there are not only a lot of knowledgeable hobbiests who love these creatures but importers and dealers too who can identify the odd exotic that gets loose.

People keep the wildest creatures for pets! And they know all about them! A great source of information without all of the old wives tales.

Have fun! :) LQ

5. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate spiders. I really, really hate spiders.

6. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Chillipalmer, I agree with you! I have seen many a snake, and know where some dens used to be. Rode my horses through Badger Canyon and around Benton county as a kid. Those snakes are still around! I know they deny we have Brown Recluse here but some of the spider bites I have seen sure make me question the validity of the "experts". Nice to meet you neighbor!
    Denise

7. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

Aiiee! I bet we know each other. The horsey set back home is pretty clannish. What sort of riding do you do, western, trail, show?

Really, I never did see the deal they made about the rattlers. Now coyotes and spiders, they were a real problem. Finley has been settled up fairly thick in the last few years and you still can't keep a cat outside for fear the coyotes will eat it.

8. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Where I am theres black widows,brown recluses.copperheads,and rattle snakes although all Ive seen is black widows one year it was really bad I went widow hunting about ever other day.There rather small an so there a big worry especially if you have kids.The best advice I can give is talk to your neighbors before you buy a home.