DANGER Hurricane Charley is now class4!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moopups, Aug 13, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Charley has shifted to a more easternly direction and has grown toclass 4 meaning wind speed up to 145 mph. Orlando seems to be the center of his direction at this time.

There was a 25 foot high tidal serge, that is not a typo, 25 feet down the SW coast. This is going to be a bad one for the center of the state. Leave any structure that may be in question as to standing up to the hurricane immediantly.

3 died in Cuba, this is justa bit smaller than Andrew, which did billions of dollars of damage. Readers up the east coast start paying attention, NOW.

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh Moopups, here I get on to announce the intensification and ya beat me to it. Stay Sheltered Youall.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Praying for you all. Hang tight!

4. Grandmotherbear

Just heard Hardee County emergency response hq caught on fire and they have lost 911 capability. DeSot's Turner Center sheltering 1500 souls lost its roof and they are moving to DeSoto High School.
    Pray for those in need.

5. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

My prayers are with you all in Fl. Stay safe!

6. C and P

C and P Member

my wife (the "c" in c and p) is visiting her folks in port st. lucie this week. bad timing for a vacation to say the least. she should be fine, but we're all worried about her uncle on the gulf coast. his house is right in the path.

*watches weather channel*

7. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

It's almost 6:00 am on the east coast. Hope all you Floridians made it okay. Looks bad down there.

Meg :)

8. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Can someone tell me how this storm affected Ft. Lauderdale? My godparents live there, and I can't find anything about it on the news sites (I don't have TV).
    Heather

9. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Heather,

Ft. Lauderdale was untouched by the hurricane. They may have gotten some rain from it though. Check out the link below and look on the bottom third of the state on the west coast for Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda, a little north of Cape Coral. The hurricane made landfall in Punta Gorda and headed straight for Orlando. Ft. Lauderdale is on the east coast toward the bottom of the state.
    http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/FL1.htm

10. Fla Gal

I had to go to work this morning to help with clean up so all the libraries could open today. I feel fortunate that Bradenton didn't get hit except by rain. :worship:

Before I left for work I heard of only one death and that was a man that stepped outside to smoke a cigarette and a tree fell on him. I just got home so I haven't heard anything else about it except that the number of deaths hasn't been determined yet because some areas are unaccessable.

I did see that every mobile home park in the path of Charley had some extensive damage of some kind. Mobile homes are cheaper than a house but I would never live in one just for this reason. :no:

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

There was multipul losses in Punta Gorda's mobil home parks. The hurricane after traveling over land sofar lost its wind speed by the time it hit Orlando, gusts to 105 and 80 substained was recorded. Not much damage inland, the real trouble is allways at the coast. Lots of follow up rain is exspected.

12. Fla Gal

Your right about multiple losses. I heard about them after getting home from work at noon. I posted on another thread on the board that I'd heard there were so far 10 deaths in Charlotte County and 5 elsewhere. Some areas are still unaccessable so not all areas have been checked.

13. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

I understand "unaccessable" but I would think that rescue services would have access to aircraft?? and mobile phones??

14. Fla Gal

The newscasters have access to helicoptors but the rescuers apparently don't. Miami Dade Fire and Rescue has come to help their northern neighbors, just as they helped when hurricane Andrew hit Miami.

Gov. Jeb Bush is supposed to visit the area tomorrow and access the situation. As far as I know a state of emergency hasn't been called. Besides there are so many tornado warnings it might not be wise for air support to be in the area.

Mobile phone lines are so busy with individuals trying to call family and friends that it's difficult for anyone to get through on those lines. It's been that way since yesterday afternoon. Nextel service in Arcadia was lost, the tower must have been downed. There was also a water tower, can't remember the town, that went down.

Edited to add:

The 1200 people that were in the Arcadia shelter where the roof blew off were safely moved to a nearby school. All survived.

15. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

anyone heard from Ernest/simpleman?

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

He is about 6 miles from me, the damage here was light, and disney workers were called in today.

17. Grandmotherbear

Glad to hear the 1200 (Channel 8 news said 1500, who knows) that were in the Desoto shelter that lost its roof came through ok.
    No power expected back for 3-5 days. Grandfatherbear and I brought our feezer full of meat back to Palm Beach County and I am firing up the canner. SR70 has a 5-6 mile backup westbound at the intersection with US27, people returning home to the SW coast.

18. Fla Gal

I don't have cable and have been monitering channel 13 news. They're the ones saying 1200 were safely moved.

You're right, you never know because it varies from channel to channel. I guess it varies because of how many people they have in the field. :confused:

19. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Seems like the death toll is at about fifteen for the state, so far.. mostly in the
    Punta Gorda area. Some people refused to leave their mobile homes or just did
    not act fast enough. There was a death on the east coast of a woman electrocuted from a downed power line in her front yard when she went outside to see the damage done.. a man died in the same area from an accident while chainsawing downed limbs. A seven year old girl died in orlando when a truck on the highway was pushed over onto a car. There are more coming in and likely will be more fatal clean up accidents. So far, about fifteen billion in property damage.

I feel lucky as the turn the storm made from its original path made it possible for it to pass forty miles or to my south and east. More than a million are still without power and some could face that for up to two weeks. I feel bad for those that were elderly and couldnt get out of the way in time. And for those that made the mistake of leaving Tampa Bay and ended up going right into the path of the storm.

Thank God more have not died as it could have been much much worse. As usual, we pick up and rebuild and eventually forget. That is the most dangerous thing. It was forty years since a major storm hit Orlando and everyone forgot what is was going to be like. It is sad to see these people on TV with their destroyed homes as they try to gather up a few last belongings in the wreckage and to hear them say.."We didnt expect anything like this".

JMHO

Donovan

Just Another Hand Upon This Ship of Fools

20. Fla Gal

I too feel lucky as the same thing happened in my area. The scenes I'm seeing on TV could be me and my neighbors. Thank God I'm not in a mobile home.

Donovan, thanks for the information. One can't be expected to hear and know all the details unless they could stay glued to the news all day every day. I sure am glad I have you folks to depend on for additional information.