Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently 43° here (Houston area, 4:30 p.m.) with a wind chill of 39°! Freeze warning/watch for tonight. The trees still have green leaves!

Please, somebody close the door!!!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Near Brownwood -- it was 24 this morning with a wind chill of 16, and didn't get above 34 today. Predicted to be 22 tonight. This is about 2 months early for this kind of weather. Bring back summer!

T

·
0 Posts
Brownwood... I've been in Brownwood. I am occasionally in Cross Plains. :)

Chilly in San Antonio with a high of 42 or something today. Supposed to freeze tonight.

I am trying to save my tomatoes and peppers... I need to add an incandescent drop light for added warmth, but check out the car cover & Saran Wrap instant greenhouse... LOL!

ImageUploadedByHomesteading Today1415919906.947149.jpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Traci, looks like my garden every year! Just don't want to let them go.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
We had actual temps in the teens and single digit wind chill this morning. It never hit the freezing mark all day. I'm jealous of 43 degrees! And, snow coming Saturday. Old Man Winter came early this year. White Thanksgiving anyone?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Time to break out the under armor thongs and fur lined flip flops. When I bought my 4-Runner I saw no reason for someone on the Gulf coast to need seat warmers. Today the term chilly cheeks really hit home. Now I need a new vehicle. LOL

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that -30 we sent you must have warmed a bit during shipping.
:nana: Yeah, you can keep you -30°. That's the reason my grandparents left Quebec 100 years ago and my Daddy settled all the way down here. ;)

Gonna be touch-n-go as to whether we freeze tonight. Didn't think I'd need to pull my plants in until weather service extended the freeze warning area. Had to go out w/ a flashlight awhile ago and put all the tenders in the garage. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
that 'perishables' like that have to be shipped with dry ice???

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
We have not been above freezing for several days now. Kinda looks like winter is here to stay.

What this is is shock troops from Canada. Once none of the cars will start and Americans are huddled around the stoves, they will invade. I say let them win. They will inherit all the problems.

·
Administrator
19,426 Posts
We have not been above freezing for several days now. Kinda looks like winter is here to stay.

What this is is shock troops from Canada. Once none of the cars will start and Americans are huddled around the stoves, they will invade. I say let them win. They will inherit all the problems.

If you promise to keep Justin Beiber and a Trudeau or two, we wont invade.

·
Super Moderator
13,680 Posts
Currently 43° here (Houston area, 4:30 p.m.) with a wind chill of 39°! Freeze warning/watch for tonight. The trees still have green leaves!

Please, somebody close the door!!!
If we have evening lows in the 20s for two or three weeks straight as some of the models are suggesting I am seriously considering draining the water lines here and packing me and the dogs up to visit friends down in Montgomery County.

T

·
0 Posts
If we have evening lows in the 20s for two or three weeks straight as some of the models are suggesting I am seriously considering draining the water lines here and packing me and the dogs up to visit friends down in Montgomery County.

I've got one or two nights of 25 scheduled in Bexar county... It's cold here, too! But 66 in a couple days... Come on down!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shoot, Montgomery county gets colder than most surrounding counties. I saw on the morning news, it was in the mid- to lower 20s last night. Local weather reports always stress that the colder temps will be north and west of Houston.....which is Mont. county. ;)

Thankfully, we stayed just above freezing last night. Supposed to warm a bit for a few days, then dip back down near freezing Monday night. Looks like the key limes, pineapples and hibiscus will be staying in the garage. These temps are weeks earlier than normal. I saw a flock of geese flying over yesterday, which we don't usually start seeing until around Thanksgiving.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Only by 5 degrees when it hit Casper.

We are having a heat wave, this morning it was up to 13F.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
In my part of WI we are next week set to break a all time record in the month of Nov. for the longest stretch of below freezing temps at 10 days is the record, we could be shattering that record next week.
Some places Way Up North next to Lake Superior I heard on the radio yesterday they are over 35 Inches in snowfall. Mostly lake effect but still this is REAL early for that to happen and a huge amount of snowfall at this point in time. It is still Fall, not Winter.
We are getting temps right now that are indicative of January, not Nov.~!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts