Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On one side of us we have dairy farmer neighbors, retired since last year. Salt of the earth. In their 70's and nice as can be. They help us, we help them....very nice people.
Then on the other side.....not quite as lovely a relationship. No real problems, just hints now and then. Saturday he called Dad and told him that our small herd of Jersey milk cows have run down the fence between he and us(propertyline fence, both parties are responsible for it)and *we* need to fix it.
Now, he runs a herd of beef cattle on his side and we run our herd of 6 Jerseys on the other side. Both of us have had bulls in the pastures at different times. Both sets of cows lounge against that particular side because there is shade there.
When we moved here three years ago, he was running cows on both sides of that fence until we moved our cows in. The fence(poorly constructed woven wire) was already pushed down some on top from the cows rubbing on it. It is a little more rubbed down three years later, but not much.
Don't even begin to tell me that he can tell it was just *our* cows rubbing it down. It wasn't. I'm sure ours have done some rubbing, but I have seen his do it too.
Now it just ticked me off that he said that *our* cows broke it down and *we* needed to fix it. If he had called up and said, "You know, both our herds have really broken down the fence on the property line, think we could get together and fix that?", I'd have been all for it. But I resent him trying to shuffle all the work and expense over on us. Dad told him it was broken down some before we got here. He stoutly proclaimed that it "was not!". I walked the entire 70 acre perimeter fence before we moved our stock over here...It most certainly was!
I'll sure as heck go down and staple up what I can of that fence......but I am not going to the expense of putting in new if it can't be fixed, unless he is willing to chip in. :shrug:
By the way, we have never had a cow in his pasture or he in ours. The fence is still quite good actually. I think he is just trying to guilt us into some free fence repair. He isn't known for being the most honest guy around anyway.....

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
Dont fix the fence, make your own strand along the broken section. Because if you guys moved there after he has been there, its his fence. There isn't any definitive proof yours or his broke it down, should be a mutual understanding. But if he doesn't want to take partial responsibility, I suggest you build your own section there, come back 5' from the line.

Jeff

·
Registered
676 Posts
In MO if you spend the money to build a "Legal" fence He will HAVE to pay for half no matter what.

LEGAL fence in MO----
1 strand barbed wire on the bottom----hog tight woven wire-----2 strands barbed wire
Post set at 10 ft with every 4th post being wood. (please check county code/law for correct heights)

other wise put up a hot wire on your side of the fence until you can reach an agreement as to who pays for or provides what to repair/replace the fence.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are renting this place and will be moving within the next six months max. So I will probably run a strand of my goat electric fence along the top of the woven wire and call it good till then. I can't afford to put up new fence on a rented place that I will be moving from in a few months.
Thought this over last night.....cooled off some....yeah, I think thats what I'll do.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
susieM said:
What happens if the animals get together for some interbreeding fun?
We moved our young bull out of that pasture as soon as he got old enough to even consider challenging his Angus. So if there is any interbreeding, it would have to be his bull breaking in with our cows.
And the fence is still quite good. I know your probably picturing a knee-high mess, but its still about chest high on me(I'm 5'10), only sagging in a few spots. Our bulls and cows have never gone through any type of fence, even one strand of electric. I have no fear that they will not cross this one.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
If your cows are staying in and you are moving in 6 months, I wouldn't fix it at all. The guy is an idiot if he thinks YOU should fix a common fence when his cows are on the other side of it as well. That's just nuts. If he asks again, tell him it's "going to be spring before anyone gets to fence work again". :D You just won't tell him where you're going to be fencing in the spring.

Jennifer

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
When we bought this place a few years ago, there was a section of fence that needed to be installed (about 1300' worth of new) and about 11'00 worth of replacement. The deal was (as per written contract) that the fence was to be split 50/50 MATERIALS and LABOR between the two of us. I needed to rent the pasture, so the new part had to come first. I bought every staple, wire, post and clip for the entire thing - he brought some old wire to use as brace wire at the corners. He helped set the corners and pound some posts. I ended up finishing it. The other part still needs to be done - 4 years later. I am in the process of selling that part of the place, so I will end up doing this part, also. It ain't gonna be new, either. I'll use what ever I have on hand - enough to get it ready to sell.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
Don't know about other states, but, in Kansas each landowner is responsible for half of a common fence. Traditionally, when you face the fence, you are responsible for the right half, unless other agreements are made. In your case tho, if leaving in a few months, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do have a problem, the electric wire should take care of it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes Missouri has a fence law, I understand it pertains to the land owners not tenant. Missouri is known for it's poor fences. Put up your hot wire and continue to enjoy the Ozarks. Good luck and wishing you good neighbors on your move. Glenn

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
common fences in mo are half and half, you stand on your side and the right hand half of the common fence is your responsibility. tho its nice if everybody can get together and split the whole thing. I would tell him to direct all calls to land lord...

we have problems with horsie neighbors that want us not to keep our horses on a common fence :rolleyes: because they keep thiers there lol. we fixed our half, theyve done nothing...

·
Registered
251 Posts
ozark_jewels said:
If he had called up and said, "You know, both our herds have really broken down the fence on the property line, think we could get together and fix that?", I'd have been all for it. But I resent him trying to shuffle all the work and expense over on us.
Seems like it would've been the neighborly thing to do huh. :shrug: I take a lot of pride in knowing I help people without asking for anything in return, but as I've gotten older I've found out that you just can't satisfy everyone.

I'd just run a hot wire with some 4 or 5 inch standoffs on your side of the fence. If the fence continues to get damaged after that then you'll know it his cows still doing it, and you can point that out to him.

We had a problem with some of our bulls leaning over, and even jumping some of ours to get into other pastures we separated. One strand of hot wire and we haven't had a problem since.

Keep us updated
GR

·
Misty Gonzales
1,027 Posts
My sister had a neighbor put up a very nice 3 or 4 strand barb wire fence between her place and theirs. The neighbor never called and asked, "hey want to go in halfers on a fence?" Nothing. After the fence was up, my sister gets a bill in her mailbox, something like $1800.00. It is for 1/2 the cost of the fence and labor. We checked out fencing laws and Colorado is a fence out state. My sister has ignored the bill and 2 years later they haven't done a thing to encourage payment.
Fences can cause war with neighbors.
Misty

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Emily, best advice I can offer is to take pleanty of pictures of what is there now! All the way around your property! Try to get some with his herd rubbinh on the fence. Anything that will help you. AND document every conversation, phone call or glance..... trust me, better to do all of that just in case he's a big time jerk just waiting on a chance to prove it..... my 2 cents

·
Duchess of Cynicism
3,230 Posts
oh-- in Ohio-- if one does not want to cost share a fence with a neighbor, the code permits a totally owned fence to be 'just off' the property line.The neighbor then HAS to put up HIS opwn fence, as well. 3 Inches is sufficient to permit a person to legally have access to the 'other' side of the fence for maintence purposes such as repairs, tightening, trimming. Consider that on your own property-- and run a hot wire along the top, outside to prevent the pushing inward from neighbor cows.

There is a very old saying, "good fences make for good neighbors" but the neighbors have to agree on the fence!!!

My uncle had a neighbor who complained because "YOUR donkey got my mares all pregnant with MULES!!! KEEP him OUT of my pasture!!! Well, a week later, my uncle called the neighbor, and told him 'Come get your pony mares out of MY pasture" yep-- the common fence had a hole in it-- that the pony mares knew about- and the Donkey did not.( Or the Trouble preferred to stay with his horse mares....) The pony mares chose their stud!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts