Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
We're paying about $2.80 for gas just now. The gallon of milk I bought at the market this morning was about $3.80...I think. So yeah, milk is higher than gas here now.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Hey, milk OUGHT to cost more than a gallon of gas!! If milk was on parity with every other cost increase in daily necessities, it would be bringing about $32 a hundredweight to dairymen!

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Well AC, assuming a gallon weighs in at 8 pounds, there would be 12.5 gallons in a hundred weight. 12.5 x 3.80 = $47.50. Not sure what the profit margin is on milk, but it would not be unreasonable to assume the dairyman got $30+ for his milk. I certainly don't know.

On my own personal dairy front, I'm bottle feeding a little Jersey heifer now, and she's already a big pet. I may try to break her to milk when she freshens the first time, just to see if I can make some butter.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have my own butter- wouldn't be without it.
In the shops milk is about the same price as fuel at the moment. The economy for milk farmers up here is very bad and many are stopping. Mostly retiring but there are no new ones starting up. The county had a campaign a couple of years ago- Milk is thicker than water. The silage bails were placed in town outside supermarkets

The local supermarkets charge about 25 cents extra pr. litre milk and the money goes direct to the 13 milk farmers left in the region.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Graffiti art on silage bales, and for a good cause. You live in a nice part of the world Renee. We once had three dairies within five minutes of my home. They are all gone, and I'm unaware of any operating in my county or the adjacent counties. It's a very demanding form of farming and not many have the discipline or work ethic to take it on.

·
Single Urban Homesteader
1,231 Posts
I've seen some analysis about falling prices and it seems mainly due to fracking.

I know of 2 dairy farmers I can buy direct from. One is $3 a gallon and my friend is kind enough to pick some up every week they head up to their cottage during the warm months. Starting this week I'll be going to the closer one starting this week, they charge $5 a gallon but also sell cream which I'm looking forward to for piima and butter :D

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
And milk was higher than beer in the early 1970's.

Hate it when that happens.....

Mon

Reactions: sustainabilly

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Wreck; actually petroleum products are lighter than milk. Back when I was in the army I figured a rough 6 pounds per gallon.
Edit to add; The weight of petrol products varies with temp. Jet fuel is heavier than automotive gasoline, lubricants run higher yet. But they all float, so they are all a bit lighter than water or milk.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
But what would a gallon of whole milk weigh Ox? I've never actually weighed a gallon, but it's made up of 128 fluid ounces...and I may have wrongly assumed that equaled 8 imperial/standard pounds.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Milk weighs about 2 1/2 lbs more than gas per gal. Ox was right at 6 lbs for gas. Milk- 8.6 lbs. I reckon if you weren't in a very big hurry to get where ever, you could ride your cow. Mongo rode a steer.

Reactions: rkintn

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Sustainabilly;'
I had to laugh at that; when I was a boy our milk cow would occasionally pull up her tether (she lived on a chain in vacant lots near home) and go across town to find the nearest bull. I'd have to go find her and bring her home--I was 14 or so. I'd coil the chain, hop on the cow and ride home. I must have looked like a strange kid to the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shoulda had my grass clipped IF the folks had known that I as a runner in track would run the cows down hill to the barn at night for milking before the folks got home. You may think running a milk cow shouldn't be much of a chore, BUT it took me quite awhile before I could grab her tail and hang on. IF I had ever caught my kids doing that, they still would sit down carefully lol.
IF I had known that it was wrong to do that, I likely wouldn't have. BUT dad would sick Nellie onto the cows, and she ran them and he didn't complain, so I thought it was alright. Maybe, he didn't think it was wrong either.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I wonder what the price of gasoline would be if it was figured on the way milk prices are?
Cost from shipping milk from Eau Claire WI to Boston~! Can you imagine what and how gas would be priced at using that kind of calculation? It used to be just how far the farm was from Eau Claire, the further away, the more money you would get for your milk. and so forth, but now the government put Boston into the mix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts