Dang cats!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oggie, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Despite the fact I’ve always tried to avoid cats (aloof vermin that view the whole world as their litter box), two of the little buggers are trying to worm their way into my heart.

Shadow, a Siamese-colored female with faint tabby-like stripes, and Pumpkin, a classic orange tabby, wandered or were dumped onto our place shortly before Halloween. And because they were “free” they’ve only cost us about $200 for checkups, worming, vaccinations and spaying.

They spend the day outdoors and the night in a crate in the house because my wife and daughter, who like them more than me is allergic.

So I spend part of the day grumbling about “Cats” until the other night when my wife calls me at my night job and asks that I keep an eye out for Pumpkin who wasn’t there to be let in when called in the evening. When I get home, the look on my wife’s face says there’s still no Pumpkin.

I went out with a flashlight and there was no sign of her. I woke up first the next morning and went out to walk the entire property. I even used some of the strange skills you acquire in the country. Coyotes around? No, no tracks in the freshly plowed earth. Owls or hawks? No bits of fur near or downwind of the house., etc.

Exhausted every lead until on a lark I unlocked the large utility building the there she was. Would have looked there in the first place but I was told the cat was at the evening feeding after the building was already locked up. Turns out no one really saw the cats when the food was put out.

The look on my wife’s face made all the foolishness worth it.

So I guess I have to admit that those cats are growing on me

Gonna have to get me a bigger dog to protect my manliness.

2. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph already told me that you've already been "won over"! ". . . . . . . . two of the little buggers are trying to worm their way into my heart."
    "Shadow, a siamese-colored female with faint tabby-like stripes, & Pumpkin, a classic orange tabby . . . . ." - clue # 2 - you already have them named. Now, even if you try to insist that your wife & daughter named them, that still doesn't hold up since you actually use the names they have been called!
    " . . . . . . they've only cost us about $200 for checkups, worming, vaccinations, & spaying". - clue # 3, no one spends that much money on something that doesn't matter to them. (You are a very responsible person for actually getting them spayed!) No, you are not fooling me, you have fallen in love with these cats! But hey, I can't say much as I'm an animal lover too!
    Enjoy your new found loves!!

3. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

Hey! It wasn't me who named them. It was our two-year-old son. So I'm out-voted in this family.

My only hope is that these cats grow up to be tough enough to keep the other strays away.

As for the spaying - it was the last option. We had a long talk with the kittens about abstinence, but we could tell by the look on their faces that we just weren't getting through.

I just hope all you folks are reining in your little kitty Jezebels! Otherwise I'm sure the products of their feline libidos are making their way toward our place.

If I start shooting and shoveling, I'll be digging a hole for me too. With all the family disharmony that might cause I wouldn't hear the end of it!

Where's can I find a Mastiff/Clydesdale cross?

4. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

do a google search for cat recipies, or look over on the cooking and crafts section I'm sure they must have some post on good cat eating and handy things to do with the leftovers.
    Kirk

5. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

Oggie, you've got to see the bright side of the issue. If there is one...

I surrendered a few years back when the mice kept us up all night in the old farm house we lived in. My wife and kids 'vounteered' to find a barn cat off my brother's farm, I specifically told them, "no BLACK cats - and if it's a kitty it better come from proven mouser blood lines" They couldn't catch anything but this scrawny little, malnurished half dead black kitten.

"Were the mice sounds really that bad...?" I thought as I layed awake in bed, listening to that darn cat crying all night long... Weeks later, it started to "earn" it's keep - proven by presenting us with a big mouse half her size, with the head chewed off. Sick looking, but given the display of blood stains pure hunting instinct - I figured this little kitty wasn't so bad after all. The wife and kids were totally grossed out to find mouse carcasses all over the kitchen floor each morning...

We still got her, 6 years later, and she routinely kills the field rats. Quite a site seeing this black cat tossing headless rats into the air, batting them around - and grossing out the wife and kids.

As far as the dog.... She waits till the hound is sawing logs & chasing bunnies in her sleep, sneaks over quietly, rears back on her hind legs and bats the canine in the chops so hard you can her her lips pop! Then she runs up my chair, curls up like nothing happened while the hound is trying to shake the stars out of her head.

For an entertaining evening, get a lazer pointer, turn off the lights and play, "catch the little light, kitty". They will run into walls, furniture, and attempt to climb drapes, chairs, stairs and unsuspecting legs of unattentive spouses. :haha:

6. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

yes, those laser lights are SO much fun! My Kibbles would jump over 4 feet up the wall to try to get that little light! A week before Christmas he died unexpectedly. We had 2 and one loves my hubby best and one loved me best. :( They're only 4 1/2, and healthy so this was VERY unexpected. We got them as starving orphaned kittens whose mother was hit on the road in front of where my husband works... and then I got the call... "there's this little kitten..." After 2 years of him saying NO CATS UNTIL WE MOVE! and then HE wanted it... grrr

Anyways. Poor Boo was very depressed without Kibbles around... and it was heartbreaking to see him mope around the house. Once he saw a cat outside that had a little coloring like Kibbles and you could see that he had turned hopeful that Kibbles was outside and would be back... it was pathetic!

So, off to the shelter I go. It's crowded, with cages everywhere... and looks dirty, like an old cellar, and every cat in every cage has an eye infection. The workers there picked them up with the same amount of care as a rambunctious 4 year old. Adorable and lovable I picked one out. They were closed the entire week of Christmas, so I had waited patiently for them to open in order to save a kitten from being put down and get one that had already been tested for illnesses I didn't want to bring home for my other cat... I filled out a 3 page questionnaire and was told that after my background check, they would call me and tell me if I could have the kitten... It would probably be on Friday (this was Monday). They needed to call my veterinarian and check the records on my cats...

Well, I knew I was done then. My cats don't have up to date rabies shots because they are NEVER outside... when I say never... I mean that in 4 1/2 years, Kibbles had touched the front porch with his paws one time for about 3 seconds... So, I knew I wouldn't qualify... even though my cats are neutered, were tested for all communicable diseases and had shots when they were younger... they'd rather put the cat to sleep or let it live in that filthy cage by the cold outside door than let someone the likes of me have it.

When I told them how outrageous I thought it was that people would spend that much money on an animal that they would abuse, they told me the story which "proved" their point... one lady that got a puppy there put a collar on it and tied it just outside her front door for a short period of time... the puppy fell between the steps and hung itself and they would make sure that SHE would never get another puppy from them!!!! They told her this when she came in crying as she told the story and wanted to get another puppy for her heartbroken son. I felt bad for the woman, because the same thing happened when I was a little girl when my mom was home alone with our new puppy. She cried for days.

So, I went to another shelter... Chloe is beautiful - white with aqua to green eyes, spayed, good house manners and the poor thing has been in a cage for at least 6 of her 12 months. She can't get over the amount of space she has around here! I really miss my Kibbles, and Chloe needs to get a little more cat personality, but she's growing on me. They have this way of doing that, don't they?

Kibbles is buried on our property, where we'll be moving this year... I miss him terribly!