dandruff! help!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by m0424647, May 27, 2005.

1. m0424647

m0424647 Well-Known Member

much to my chagrin, i have dandruff. i've tried head and shoulders to no avail, and i know there are dozens of other dandruff shampoos and home remedies. just wondering if anybody here knows of anything that works.

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Well, I don't have dandruff . . . but I guess that's the point!! hehe So I'll tell you a little story - Once upon a time more than 20 years ago I was visiting a friend over the weekend and forgot my shampoo, so used the shampoo that was handy . . . it was Pert. I like it so well I started using it regularly. This was before Pert came out with a dandruff shampoo. A couple of years later, I suddenly realized -- no dandruff!! hmmmmmmmm Must be the Pert. I kept using it until the Pert people started messing with the formula and putting "conditioners" and other junk into the shampoo. Then I switched to Clairol Herbal Essence shampoo . . . still don't have dandruff.

A few other things for you to consider if the dandruff shampoo hasn't done any good - First maybe it isn't dandruff, maybe it's one of those other things they're always talking about on the TV that takes something stronger than dandruff shampoo. If so, you might want to check with a doctor first to see what it is . . . could be some sort of allergy thing. Maybe someone on here with a medical background can give you a few tips.

Next, do you eat right, take vitamins, and live healthy? If not, maybe you're lacking in some vitamin or other (I'd bet on A and/or D). So you might want to give that some consideration, as well. Just like a truly healthy plant in your garden can withstand drought and floods and bugs of all sorts, a truly healthy person doesn't generally get dandruff, fungus or the flu bug. Good luck!

MaryNY

3. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

There is dandruff and dry scalp. I always thought I had dandruff but a doc told me it was just dry scalp. Dry scalp itches alot. I tryed everything you can think of to get rid of it. Well I don't eat well. I eat junk, so I am overweight. I started a weightloss plan a few years back that did work so long as you only eat there food and drank there drinks but the one thing they had me do is drink three of those 32 oz sports bottles of water a day. Oh man I thougt they were trying to drown me LOL I am lucky if I drink a glass of water in a month. Well after about 1 week I was feeling better and getting use to the water but after 2 weeks no more dry scalp!! I have been fighting it my entire life (I'm 46 years old with long hair) and all I ever had to do was hydrate myself very very well. So simple and so cheep.

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

interesting thoughts. I just realized that when I shaved my head, any and all flaking i had went away completely.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

After you wash your hair, rinse and work in to your scalp diluted vinegar. It really works and makes your hair look nice as well. This is the old time recipe for conditioner (before conditioner). It may be that dandruff is really a fungus condition and that's why it works. Try it.

PS. This also works for lice prevention (or if you have them). The vinegar makes the Lice "glue" release and then you can rinse out of your hair.

6. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

By diluted I mean 50:50. Be sure to keep a wet washcloth handy so you can shield your eyes. Massage it into your scalp and hold it there a couple minutes before rinsing with clean water. Your hair will not smell later.

7. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

i have dry scalp and dandruf. i use rosemary for it. just boil some up and pour it on your head when its cool... you can do enough for a week at 1 time if you keep it in the fridge.

working on making a rosemary vinegar, that will realy kick the dandruf out. good luck, hope this helps

8. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

Tea Tree Shampoo from Paul Mitchell. I've tried other brands but his seems to be the best. Most beauty supply stores carries it and Sally's carries a no name that's not bad and is pretty cheap.

9. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

You could probably try most of the ideas listed under the "My Ass Itches" thread.

:haha:

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

LOLROF too funny.

What we do here in our home is use PINETAR soap...and there is a gal here that makes some, even better would be her NEEMPINETAR soap.

11. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

You lmight check with your doc. Sil had the problem really bad, tried everything under the sun. Turn out he was hypothyroid, severely.

12. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

My grandma always used mayonaise on our heads when we were itching and flaking. My daughter has that same problem...but I don't think she rinses well and scrubs well enough.
    Pack on the mayo and put a shower cap or something on. It does wonders for your hair. I too have used the vinegar rinses. It gets rid of the soap buildup.

13. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my 2 cents worth....

Listerine takes the itch away and does help with the dandruff...comb it in and let it set for a minute....stings a little and don't get any on your "delicate" parts.....

14. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

My husband always gets dandruff when he gets stressed, so stress may be a factor. He found some help in using T-Gel shampoo.

15. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Put on a coat and tell people it's snowing.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I second the recommendation for pine tar soap or pine tar shampoo.

17. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

MANY people react to the sodium laureth sulfate ingredient in shampoos...result....flaky skin. Look around at a health food store to find one without this ingredient. Also, up the Omegas in your diet and this too may help........these things my family is learning from research and experience! good luck!

18. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Sea Breeze massaged into your scalp does good things for dry scalp. Maybe for dandruff too?

hollym

19. mtnhighgirl

mtnhighgirl Well-Known Member

I use an all natural homemade shampoo bar with tea tree, rosemary and peppermint oils. Helps with dry scalp/dandruff, and doesn't leave a residue. Once a week I use an infusion of stinging nettle or rosemary as a rinse.