dandelion question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hollym, May 27, 2005.

1. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Is it too late to scatter dandelion seed in Texas? I am just north of San Antonio.

hollym

2. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I'm wondering why you would want to?

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Oh I knew people were going to ask me that, sigh. Well I just do! I want some in my yard, I love them. I also want the leaves for tonics.

So...now that you know, do you know the answer!?

hollym

4. CurtisWilliams

CurtisWilliams Well-Known Member

North of Omaha, on the banks of the 'Muddy Mo'
    Afer doing a little research, I decided to do a patch of dandelion. Here are a few pros on dandelion as a crop. 1.They are hardy. How much time and money do people spend on killing them to no avail? 2.The whole plant is edible. The greens are valuable as food for people, rabbits, chickens, ducks ect... The flowers can be eaten raw, sauted, made into wine, jelly, honey, ect... The roots are edible by people, cattle and pigs. The seeds have value as bird food. 3. They are prolific. They reproduce with many, many seeds and the root can be cut into many pieces, which can become a new plant. 4.The plants have medicinal value. I'm not into the holistic new age thing, so I don't claim to know exactly what it can help with, other being a very good diuretic and liver tonic. 5. Dandelions are easy to control, despite the ongoing battle to stop them from spreading in your front lawn. Simply pick the flowers before they go to seed. 6. Dandelions are tolerant of adverse conditions. They thrive in rocky clay, and their taproot penetrates the hardest soil to bring deep water and nutrients to the surface. 7. Dandelions are pretty. Their bright yellow against a green background puts a spring feel in the air. 8. Dandelions will outcompete other weeds. They give off a hormone that discouraged plant growth in their immediate area. 9. They have use in soil remediation. Their taproot will absorb toxins out of the soil and store them. Dig up the root, and you've just removed poison from the ground. 10. They grow quickly. The seeds I planted today should start to provide food for us within a month.

This is a great example of one man's weed being another man's plant of all trades.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Nope, not too late. Have at it! Just don't let the neighbors catch you! LOL

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

yep, i like dandelioons too.

if you see how dandelions grow in the yard, you can see when to plant them. they keep blooming and setting seed all summer, so you can safely plant them anytime they are in bloom.

i love them as an early green. i make a good pasta, then in a separate pan i saute some onions, and lots of garlic in butter. when they are soft, i toss in handsful of young dandelion greens. cook them just enough to wilt them, then serve them over pasta, with fresh ground black pepper and grated parmesan cheese. yummmmy! even my kids will eat it!

just remember to avoid the greens where animals use the bathroom , or have been sprayed with pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers.

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys, for the affirmation and the additional info! Marvella, I don't use anything chemical anywhere, so I should be ok. I did think they would make good chicken treats as well as everything else that they do. I have NONE growing anywhere now, so I'm going to sprinkle them in a flowerbed that I left empty and let them take it from there. I too, love the cheerful yellow flowers! So pretty, I remember as a kid just feeling so perplexed at the all out adult war on them!

Cyng, lol, I don't have any neighbors to speak of, thank goodness!

Chickenchaser, thanks for the long info bit! I'm a data junkie.

hollym