Dancing Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by M&G-Nubians, Jan 3, 2005.

1. M&G-Nubians

M&G-Nubians Member

It always seems that I just about finishing milking and my girls start table dancing. Not sure if its the credit card stuck to my forehead or the dollar bills in my fist. I just hope they don't ask for a brass pole and a hardwood floor for next Christmas. I could understand the behavior in one goat but more than one? I think I have found a way to slow down the onset of the goat getting two step but I was wondering if anyone else experiances this or has a technique to limit all this high stepping action? I remembered a lady mentioning something about putting a medium (softball size) rock in their grain bowl to slow them down and helps distract them longer while on the stand graining. It works some. Now its more like the cockroach stomp. Any other stories or ideas?

It's the little inner simple smiles that we enjoy most. :)

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Although I am plagued :no: usually, with a doe a year who despite being a bottle kid, raised with all her friends, who love me, who stand patiently for hours on the milkstand, need be, who come through the opened door of their barn to the milkroom, jump up without wrestling with them...there is always one. Last year her name was Divinity, she had a drag rope on her for about 4 weeks, then when she decided to learn the routine, I took her to appraisal, then to two shows, and she forgot everything she learned! This year I am hoping she will be better because Princess is the brat this year!

I am a very intolerant goat owner, I have no patience, if you act bad you are gone, I can't deal with problems twice a day for life and smile about it :) Thank god :worship: that the majority of my herd are peaceful, calm, very well mannered goats. The problems come when folks are visiting and the girls know I am not paying attention, thats when someone dives into the barrell of grain, or decides to walk out of the always opened milkroom door and walk around the backyard!

Divinty is the best first freshener I had last year, only 1 of 3 that I kept, out of a group of 13, I do wish her temperment was better, but with that udder and body, I will take a little attitude. Perhaps this year when I freshen my 8 first fresheners, Princess with her attitude will have a dog udder so she can be milked by someone who won't mind how she acts!

So....I won't be able to help you with your problem! A whole herd of movers and shakers on the milkstand would send me over the edge! :) Vicki

3. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

someone told me how to handle that problem last year. My Molly gets in the mood to do the foot stop dance when she either hogs down her grain or decides she doesn't want any more and decides I am through milking.
    I tie her feet with the lead rope. Now sometimes if she is really in a bad mood she will do the bunny hop anyway but most of the time she gets the message and stands still until I am finished. After a few days of being tied up to be milked she will stand nicely without the rope. There is still the bad day once in a while but not often anymore.