Dancing cow...or how do i make Daisy stand still?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mamalisa, Feb 1, 2005.

1. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Miss Daisy is doing quite well at milking for me. Unfortunately, she's giving my daughter a fit. With me, she eats her grain, then fidgets. I get up and tie her lead shorter, tell her to move her rear back over, and she settles down. No more grain, and she gives up and is still.

She won't settle back down for Kate, who milks in the afternoon. She is quiet about 2/3 of the milking, and then gets quite restless. I'm sending Kate's big brother down this afternoon, to see if that helps. Seems that she has trained Kate to give her more goodies to stand still when she fidgets?

I don't have a stanchion, Daisy wears a turnout halter and is clipped to the ladder. Works for me til I can build a cow-sized stanchion, but any ideas to help out Kate?

BTW...butter, cream, the richest milk I've ever drunk.....I'm in cow heaven, and so are the kids!

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have heard of people mixing up the grain in a bucket of alfalfa cubes, or something so it takes them longer to eat it.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe she is taking too long to milk her. Should be done within ten minutes.

4. mamalisa

We aren't that darn fast yet! more like 20-25. She has short hind teats that take longer to milk, and I'm just not that strong yet either. But the question is, why is she such a turkey for Kate and not me? We're both slow?

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

The way you grip the teats can make a difference. If she pushes the ends of her fingers straight into the center of the teat it will bother some cows. Do you squeeze the short teats or strip them with two fingers. I don't know that this matters to the cow however. Not having your finger nails cut really short don't go over very well. I always hated short teats. Some cows milk really easy compared to others. Some cows give milk, and others you have to fight for every drop you get. Tie her really short, and have something on her left side to keep her from stepping away from you. Also when cows don't stand well, A rope or strap can be wrapped around her right ahead of the bag, and drawed up just as tight as you can possibly get it and tied there while milking. This seems to keep them from stepping around.

6. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

i have milk cows some of them were that way when i bought them also alot are milked in a palor so they cant walk away as you are having i think alot of the times ..previous owner might been a man and cows can tell the difference even in the voice of person as to who is the BOSS ..let her milk every time let her feed every time and i bet cow will come around to her....no matter how long it takes to milk cow........but it does help if cow cannot hog down feed and be ready to go back to the field.....why i have done it at first is to get them in a corner with cows head tied to exact corner then you have another fence to keep them close

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

I find cows will kick at some people more than others. One farm has a guy that helps with milking, etc. Well this one cow will kick at him, but will not kick at the owners. Is your daughter as gentle as you? Observe, if there is no difference, who knows, maybe the cow is thinking "ill fix her!" ;).

Jeff

8. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Is your daughter closing off the top of the teat well so that milk isn't squirting back up into the cows' udder when she squeezes? It really hurts the cow when that happens. Cows definately know the difference between milkers and some have preferences about who milks them. We have one cow who tolerates my husband pretty well, though if he doesn't hurry he gets a swat in the face with her tail. She swats me the entire time, along with looking back at me with obvious disgust. She does stand still though.
    You can put several good sized rocks in with the feed to slow down her eating some - obviously, make sure they are large enough she can't accidently swallow them.

9. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

we had daisy mae, and everyone could milk her but me. she would eat for me , just not milk, so now we hav goats, and they want me to milk them, will let my hubby, but the all prefer mmamamama, yup, that is what they say, when he milks, I watch him everynight as he trys, they just won't let the minlk down. ,so it is like this , animals likes some people and they dislike others. just like people. what can I say?

10. pygmywombat

pygmywombat Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone about checking out how your DD is milking. If she is giving into the bad behavior and giving more treats have her stop that and when Daisy gets antsy just have her step back (and move the milk bucket out of range) and let the cow have her fit. After a couple of minutes she should settle her act down. Has she tried your technique of tying up closer and telling her to settle down? Even a good smack on the leg (just to get her attention)and saying NO firmly might help. The cow recognizes you as her boss, but she needs to see your daughter as higher then her in the herd as well.

Claire

11. mamalisa

She seems to have given in and decided to stand still....though she did startle when the cat left the hayloft via her back! Not that I blame her.

She is a very very good and patient cow and we love her very much. She has learned to come for goodies (apple slices, mostly) and chases all the sheep away from the trough until she is finished drinking....Even our ram has learned that the cow is bigger than he is!

Kate did have to tie Daisy up short a couple times before she gave up and stood still.