dana 60 wheel bearing nuts

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by buck_1one, Apr 21, 2006.

1. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Ok I've looked and looked and can not find what I need. The large nuts that retain the rear wheel bearing on this rear are all hacked up. Looks like someone didn't have the proper socket and used a chisel and hammer over the years to take it off and put it on.

It has a large nut holding the bearing in then what I'll call a large star washer then another large nut. The tabs on the star washer bend down and keep the nut from backing off. I've been to Ford and their books only go back to 1980. It's not the same set up. I've been to the local parts stores and they told me to go to Ford, lot of help that was. I've also tried the local junkyards but came up empty with that too. Seems the 1/2 tons are everwhere but step up to a 3/4 or heaver and nothing.

The very very sad thing is the local junk yards are turning into scrap metal yards. They are just crushing everything and selling it for scrap. They have a 57 Ford Fairlane 500. On this car is a perfect rear door glass and stainless steel trim. I just know some guy in somewhere USA is just dying to find such parts for his car. I know with some of the old cars I've messed with I would just die to find real Ford parts. I just wanted to cry over a huge pile of aluminum mags just crushed to get the tires off so that the aluminum can be recycled. But I digress.

So can anyone tell me where I can find these large nuts and I'd also like to replace the star washer.

Thanks once again,
    Buck

P.S. I think in some sick way I really enjoy hunting down these ever so hard to find parts. LOL

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    If you can verify the size of the nuts I will check with the local hardware, its 125 years old and covers everything from handiman stuff right up to industerial.

3. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

4. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

you could always have a part made at a knowledgeable machine shop, including nuts as you describe

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've always bought new ones from the Ford dealer when someone hacked them up with a chisel.

7. buck_1one

Beeman, you say you get them from Ford when you replace them, can you get a part number for these nuts. The local dealer can only look back to 1980 and the nuts for the 1980 are a different setup.

The truck is (was :rolleyes: ) a 1978 F250, Dana 60, 400 engine, 4x4, 4 speed. These nuts are off of the rear axle.

I'm at the point that I think I'm going to rebuild the nuts. Weld in the missing chunks and file it back into shape.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. I've been running around looking at junk yards for parts for this build. Made some nice finds too.

Buck

8. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

Got a Carquest nearby? Just for example I needed the same things for my 72 Jeepster Commando and they produced the nuts and the washers. Dana 60's are much more common. I believe it was made distributed by Dorman.
    Napa should handle dorman too.

The other option is get the updated nut setup. which has no washer and a ratcheting locking nut. I'll check the parts dept at work and see if I can get a part# but don't hold your breath parts person is not one who likes a challenge. lol.

9. buck_1one

I gave up on the search for the nuts I needed. Yes I have a carquest, napa, advance and ford dealer and no one could come up with the nuts I needed. So after much wasted time, energy, and gas I cleaned the old ones up ground them down welded in new metal and reshaped them for use. I got tired of the rear being taken apart and needed to move on to other things. It took some time and a lot of effort but they turned out pretty good. I did find the lock/star type washers. I'll put the new washers in after the last tear down cleaning and paint. For now I just took the old washers out, truck ain't going anywhere any time soon.

I'll have to say, never in my day did I think it would be so hard to find a wheel bearing lock nut for a dana 60!!

Thanks
    Buck

10. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Northman, I have a 69 Comando. Just pulled the tank and double layered it in fiberglass. New one costs @$180 and the glass @ $40. Next time you need nuts for the rear, go to a 4-wheel drive shop that deals in off-roading. They will have parts for most anything like that. Gideon

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Buck , D60 axles were used extensively in dodges just as they were in fords . So don't limit your search just to "ford" sources . fordy... :)

12. buck_1one

Fordy, I went to the local Dodge dealer as well. Guess I should have posted that but I didn't, sorry. He said he remembered seeing something like that years ago but he could not find anything for me as well.

Other than a couple of small pin holes where I didn't fully weld in the missing sections, the nuts turned out real nice. I just could not justify welding in more to fill a pin hole to spend even more time reshaping the nuts. If it had been a pin hole in a body panel, sure. Just didn't seem worth more time for just a nut.

13. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy