Damping off

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by mamabear, Apr 7, 2005.

1. mamabear

mamabear Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like I've lost all of my seedling tomatoes, peppers and eggplants to damping off. I got too carried away with watering and now I'm back to square one. And they were from heirloom seeds...
    I was hoping to set them out this weekend, but I've lost every one of them. Reckon I'll have to use store bought plants this year, no matter how much I dislike the thought.
    I think I'll just get the seeds in the ground for some of my other "faithful" plants this weekend. I know that my squash and vining plants never let me down, as well as my beans and corn.
    How's every one else's planting coming along?
    mamabear

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Aw Mama, that stinks :waa:

3. mamabear

I appreciate the sympathy, but on a brighter notes my little bitty peach trees are loaded. I've got two Elberta peach trees that were planted last year and they stand about four feet tall. They mostly look like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but those little things are loaded in baby peaches. Now I know I will have to pull most of them off of there, or the poor things will fall over later. I just haven't had the heart to do it yet.
    My roses have big ol' buds on them too. So I haven't killed everything...

mamabear

4. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Unless you're in a very short growing season area you can still start seeds if you have any left. At the price they charge around here for plants I would at least try to reseed half of my required number-----it would maybe even extend your harvest. To prevent the "damping-off" I use a commercial seed starting medium, water only from the bottom (keeping the top of the soil fairly dry) and provide as much airflow as I can over the seedlings.

5. mamabear

Thanks Manny for the advice. I am restarting what seed I have left. I'm in west TX, so we have quite a growing season. I always use commercial starter, but I committed the biggest boo-boo of overwatering. I just loved them to death and drowned them.
    I got the rest of the garden planted today, and it has been just perfect weather for it.
    mamabear

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

When I started plants in the house, I put a fan near them to circulate the air. I also sprayed them with chamomile tea which is supposed to help prevent damping off.

7. mamabear

Wow! Misting with chamomile tea. I knew it was good for me, but I had no idea it was good for my plants. I put tea and coffee grounds around the base of some of my plants, now I guess I can give them a shower too. For that matter, I wonder if I took a bath with chamomile tea, if it'd be good for me??!!
    Thanks for the info, Ardie. I'll have to try that.
    mamabear

8. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Putting a thin layer of sand on top can help prevent damping off.

9. mamabear

Thank you, Bruce, for the tip. I'll try them all. I don't remember my dad ever having a problem with damping off, but maybe he threw them out the back before anyone saw them. :haha:
    mamabear

10. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I water the seeds then put saran wrap over the flat. Do not have to water . It starts its on little cycle. It want be long before the seedlings pop through the dirt. Just be sure that they are in the light or have heat because if they don't. Fungus and junk will start. Saran wrap keeps in the moisture. Works well for me. I started just about all my plants this way.
    tnborn

11. mamabear

Thanks tnborn, for the suggestion. I have seed starting flats that have the tops for them. The ones that I lost weren't small seedlings, but had already been transplanted to larger containers and had their true leaves.
    Ardie, I was wondering if green tea could be used instead of chamomile. I have green tea.
    Thanks again.
    mamabear