Damn, Damn, Damn

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 65284, May 13, 2005.

1. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a severe thunderstorm here last night. A lot of high wind, thunder that rattled the windows, lightning flashes one right after the other, and torrential rain.
    It has been a bad spring this year, way too hot early and a lot of cold rainy weather since.

When I went out this morning I found trees down, limbs on fences, part of the pond spillway washed out, a mess in general.

Worst of all I found 1 of my best Rhea hens dead. She was tangled in the fence and apparently thrashed herself to death. Another white hen was in the shallow end of pond, mired in the mud and unable to free herself. I got her out and moved her into the barn under a heat light, she is alive and alert but cant move her legs and probably wont survive.

This is a real blow, it will really mess up our Rhea production. I was having a difficult time filling egg orders before because of the weather. I hope I won't have to refund customers money. Considering the lost production and value of the hens themselves this was at least a $1,000.00 loss.

Kind of reminds me of the old line from the Hee Haw show: If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

2. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

So sorry. It sounds like your hens need their own fallout shelter. Can you secure them in their henhouse for the night until the weather calms?

We are having strange weather here too. It has been almost 80 during the day and then we have frost warnings at night. I am sick of bringing all the plants in. No rain for at least 5 days. Of course it now looks like we will be getting some of that rain this weekend. The plants and reservoirs need it. The forestry service is worried about brush fires.

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Ouch! It was bad here last nite too. Really bad crashes and strong winds and heavy rain. Lost 4 young pullets due to piling. Guess it could have been worse. Noise kept me awake for several hours too. Looks like another one tonight, hope it doesn't scare everybody again.

4. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

Is rained a lot here on Thursday with a really strong wind from the Southeast. I was out in the rain and blow making sure the calf hutches were secured ( remember the movie twister... we have cow) Anyhow I thought we made it OK when grandpa comes in after the storm and ask if I saw what happened?? Thinking he was talking about limbs or plywood I went to see. Here our 26X42 open front cattle shed had been picked up and tossed into the pasture!!! All I could do was laugh, seeing how swearing wasn't going to help. God I hate storms, i think more now then when I was a kid. Something about mortality and bills to pay!

5. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

James is dead! Wonder if anyone will get the reference.

Anyway, to the topic. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Just part of homesteading. Makes you wanna cuss, spit and curl up in the corner and bawl but things will look better tomorrow.

I lost all my poultry recently and it is pretty darn discouraging. Things will look better tomorrow. Just try to think of how much tougher those who came before you had it. I always think to myself when something bad happens like that "well, at least I'm not having arrows shot at me and I'm not having to fight off wild indians and bushwhackers. All I had was dead chickens....great great grandpa was worrying about keeping his scalp and feeding his family over a cold winter"

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

We had some thunderstorms here in central OK thurs night & fri morning, but nothing severe. We sure needed the rain.

7. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I got about an inch last night. Only messed up my plans for today tough.