Damage Report--Western Plains

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by suburbanite, Dec 20, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    yeah, I know I'm in California. I figure the Denver-ites and surrounds are too busy dealing with their immediate crisis, but I do hope they'll check in as power and safety allow.

2. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

still in blizzard mode...tried to clear driveway...gave up after pulling trailblazer out w/3/4T truck and then got truck stuck...we'll be home a while.

3. suburbanite

:eek:

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I called my SIL last evening to ask about the ice damage where she lives.
    Her home has had a large limb come down on the roof but she hasn't determined yet if there is damage or just how much. Streets littered with limbs.

She was frightened enough by limbs coming down that she was switching bedrooms for the night, away from one particular tree in her yard.

This is in NW Kansas.

5. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Are any of you near SteamBoat Springs Colorado? MY DD is there and her Cell is not working and I was wondering if they were having a snow storm as well?

6. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe Steamboat got lots of snow--who didn't? We have about a foot and a half so far (southern foothills of the Sangre de Cristos). Gorgeous, and we still have power. We've run the furnace two mornings for 15 minutes during the blizzard because we wanted the luxury of a rapidly warmed house. Otherwise, the new Lopi Endeavor is keeping us toasty and warm.

7. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I have no idea about Steamboat, but it's quite some distance from where I am here in Denver.

We have 25 inches of snow here in the city center, it's still coming down but not nearly as heavy as it was yesterday.

I took a walk to the 7-11, 2.5 blocks away, it took me about 20 minutes to walk it one way, had to walk the road as there are a few tire tracks that made it easier than walking the sidewalks that are covered in enough snow to be hitting my hips (I'm 5'3).

I passed one SUV on my walk on the side street, the major street (Alameda - 2.5 blocks) had a few cars on it, but not many. I saw more folks walking that I saw them driving. On my way home I passed another girl with snow shoes on, last night saw a few bikes and cross country skis.

8. CowboyBunny

CowboyBunny Well-Known Member

Stay safe and warm everyone! Any chance that any of you could send up just an inch or two...It will be a green (brown) christmas here in Michigan. Seriously though, stay safe!

Tami - Heritage Corner Poultry

9. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Power on - never lost it. Snow drifts as high as a Saab (our son's car) and midway up the windows on my husband's truck. More snow heading our way - we're about 2.5 ft deep. The front walk is shovelled with 4 ft of snow on either side of the path.

One of our college daughters didn't leave her townhouse in time to get back so she's sitting out the storm in her townhouse by CSU - roommates gone, the refrigerator full of food and piles of DVDs to watch! Her volvo is buried in snowdrifts. All freeways and highways are closed statewide. And since we've no place to go .... :baby04:

For the person who asked about Steamboat Springs - I believe they have 3 ft plus of new snow. They'll probably be up and running before the plains will - they've got way more snow equipment at the resorts and this is their life up there!

Enjoy the day ---
    We are!!
    BW

10. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the information on SteamBoat. DD and SIL are there for Christmas with my 6 mo old grandson. They are in the mountains there at her inlaws and I haven't been able to reach her by cell phone as it just immediately dumps into her voicemail, I know it's not working. They are such dare devil personalities, I worry what they are getting into up there when I can't talk to her.. thanks again. :)

11. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Just so there's no mistaking where Colorado's priorities are :) , I-70 all the way to Utah is open as of 2pm MST Thursday - that's the freeway from Denver to all the main ski resorts! Airport is still closed, neighborhoods still haven't seen snow plows but the mountains are open! :dance:

Wish y'all could have seen the 4-wheel drive "Nascar" rodeo in our neighborhood, packing down the snow so all with 2-wheel drives and chains could get out to the main road (which the county had plowed)! Yeee ha! It was so much fun! :hobbyhors
    BW

12. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

As a follow-up we should post how many of us have sore arms from digging out and still have more digging out to do!
    I'll start: I'm 1! (I'm grateful tho that my back is absolutely fine - just my arms that feel like they're going to fall off!) :angel:
    BW

13. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

We had about 8-12" and lots of 3' drifts(NE plains). We have a 4wd tractor dozer to plow our way around the farm to feed all the cattle. It is 2 degrees this morning and I haven't been out, but hubby and the hired man have been at it since sun up. I should go out and see how they're doing. I am very glad we didn't get what Denver did because we would still be digging out and the cattle would be stressed. So glad we never lost power, that is very serious if we can't get water to the cattle. Anybody want to come out and help us feed? Probably not, all want to go skiing or noisy sleds......not work.;_)

14. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I have heard reports from 8 to 22 inches, I guess it depends on who is measuring, but I do know the drifts in the yard are 3' to 4'

I got the tractor stuck about 4 times this morning, but did get the cattle fed, and broke up alot of snow, the old loader tractor would not start, will try it again soon, but its only about half the size of the other tractor, but would like to find the car and be able to get to the road, I did move one truck down out of the yard and I think i can drive it to the plowed road, (they did come by and plow the road), but to use the drive and the yard it will be some time here,

currently it is sunny and hardly any wind,

and this was mostly a plains blizzard not a mountain snow, that is why the Western side of the state was not affected much, Or the sky areas, IN colorado a lot depends on where the low travels and which side of the mountains gets the weather,

the problem with I70 is normally the wind, you can have 2 inches of snow and wind and shut it down, but they said they had 20" so it was probably a real mess, there was wind in the 35 mph range,
    on the farm here the visibility was less than 200 yards during most of the last two days,

15. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Drifts over the fence posts here but a wonderful neighbor just dug out the driveway with his front end loader...my hubby is off to town to finish his shopping. I just need to hit the grocery store tomorrow morning. It was below zero this morning.

16. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Well-Known Member

We got about 2 inches of snow, but the ice is the worst. We still have an inch of ice covering everything, and there are downed limbs all over the place. Some folks lost power in the next county, but we never did.

Roads are slicker than snot too!

It will be a white christmas though!!!

17. suburbanite

Sounds like the majority of you didn't have any major damage. Contrast to the situation with the wind in the PNW. Glad to hear it.