Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I go about dam raising a mini buckling without him impregnating my other does? I will wean him as early as possible (8-10 weeks) but even now at 5 weeks, I see him mounting his half sister and my other young doelings that are around 4 or 5 months old. He also chases his own dam and the other does in the pen (other than the alpines, hehe) Should I separate him and his dam out from the rest of the herd?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It would be extremely rare for a 5 wk old guy to settle a doe. Mounting does is one thing - if you see him extending his penis and penetrating - then it's time to worry. But I think you're pretty safe until 8 weeks. That's when I separate my boys from their moms.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes me feel better. I've been watching as you said, thinking along the same lines, and haven't seen anything *yet*. I've got a new owner coming right about the time he turns 8 weeks.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
As long as the doelings aren't in heat, they won't get pregnant even if he does penetrate them, which honestly even though he tries, they probably won't let him. He shouldn't be able to reach the mature does for a quite a while yet.

Worst case scenario, they don't come into heat in the fall so you lutelyse them, they miscarry if they were in fact bred, coem back into heat and you rebreed to the buck of your choice.

I've had bucklings and full grown bucks in with my does and doelings right up until September without a single mishap. All the serious "ooops" breedings have been from a buck breaking out of his pen and nailing does that I knew were in heat, during breeding season. I'm not saying it can't happen, but that I think people get a bit too uptight about it.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know they can kid without having a serious heat. Many people have reported does kidding at 7 months of age... Didn't someone on this board have a doe kid at 6 months? I know it's not likely, but still...

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
A doeling *must* be in heat to breed. It is possible for doelings to come in heat as early as two months old...its not usual but its possible. I had a doeling freshen at 7 months old.
The thing is, it was a full grown buck who bred her. The chances of an 8-10 week old buckling being mature enough to be able to breed, and a two month old doeling coming into heat....its an unlikely scenario.
I have always left my butcher bucklings intact until they hit three-four months, on their dams and running with their sisters. No problems.
Its your decision, but if you plan on weaning him around 9 weeks...I seriously doubt there would be a problem.

·
Registered
Dairy goats, goat milk soap
278 Posts
I have a 3 1/2 month old Oberhasli doe kid whom I am almost positive is 35 days pregnant to her brother. That means he would have bred her at 11 weeks. She had semen all over her. :(
I am pretty sure she is settled. She is getting very soft and loose looking under the tail, unlike our other doe kids. We seperated the buck kids from their dams and sisters around 10 weeks, but that little doe keeeps getting out! I had to wean the little guys cold turkey as that was the only way. I wish I could have left them on their mothers a little longer, but it couldn't be helped.
Although we aren't too happy about this ,we have decided not to lutylase her. She weighs about 65 lbs now. Line-breeding and early breeding weren't part of the plan, but looks like she will probably kid in November.

·
Registered
Dairy goats, goat milk soap
278 Posts
We've never done that before and I don't know about any possible ill effects.
Also, she is nearly 70% her mother's weight and will probably be ok to deliver by November.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
There's no trick to lutelysing. You call the vet; he draws up the syringe. You give her the shot. No worrying over whether you'll lose a good doe in an impossible labor/delivery.
mary

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I haven't seen any negative effects, especially if the doe is lutelysed before she's 3 months or more along. I did one once that was 4 months along and that was too much; but afterwards, she was able to grow out into a really large, full bodied doe, so it was worth it.

The one thing I have found it is that occasionally for whatever reason, the lute does not work. I had a really special, expensive doe and the wrong buck got out and bred her. I gave her the lute at the right time, but she never came back into heat and wound up delivering kids from that buck. I was so mad, but was able to sell them off.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
mygoat said:
How do I go about dam raising a mini buckling without him impregnating my other does? I will wean him as early as possible (8-10 weeks) but even now at 5 weeks, I see him mounting his half sister and my other young doelings that are around 4 or 5 months old. He also chases his own dam and the other does in the pen (other than the alpines, hehe) Should I separate him and his dam out from the rest of the herd?
Mounting is normal behavior for goats, it's a sign of dominance even with tiny babies. Unfortunately, it is hard to say when this role-playing with these babies becomes sexual in nature. Down here in the south, the does and doelings have been cycling for some time now. Even my newly weaned doelings are ready to go and if there was a full male in their with them, even a kid, I would worry about them being impregnated.

By your buckling being a Mini, that is, part Nigerian Dwarf, he may be sexually mature even earlier than a standard sized goat. If you feel funny in your gut at all, I would at least make ready to separate this particular buckling and his mom from the rest of the herd. If he impregnates someone, at least it will only be one doe, just his dam and you can deal with it. If he is not able to impregnate does and doelings right now, he will be soon.

They can be tricky :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.