Daisy kidded yesterday!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Daisy kidded on sunday the 23rd. I was soo proud of my friends who pointed out (cuz I hadn't yet looked) that Daisy's ligaments were gone. Then they alone decided to check up on her later and found her in early labor.
    We moved her out of the barn and into the open pasture under a tree. Soon after, she had twins. (again!)
    Baby #1 is a doeling and is also half the size of baby #2 and is currently sitting in my lap. She was really weak, didn't try nursing at all. A couple syringes of corn syrup fixed that, and now she drinks about 1/2 oz a feeding, every 4 hours. She should be getting more but she just refuses the rest. She's lively enough now, hehe. When she was newborn she wouldn't do anything but sleep. When she popped out I thought she was dead because she was sooo teeny but when I touched her and removed the slime from her face, she moved and inhaled. She wasn't able to stand up and walk around like her sister, though she was firstborn. Her sister is normal sized and acts normal.
    Baby #1 is really weird colored. Her PATTERN is that of a sundgau... But her legs, her butt marking, and her eyebrows are NOT white, but BROWN! Then she has a white star and white on her nose and ears. She has two large white spots on her lefthand side, too. One on her flank and the other kinda underneath her in her armpit.
    Baby #2 is a sundgau agouti doeling.
    Once again I have no use for my castrator this year. two does kidded with twins this year, all does. Daisy kidded last year, twin does again. I've decided I really like my buck, lol.
    Oh, yes, I forgot to ask : Daisy got a bad case of mastitis last year. I got it cleared up but the problem is scar tissue, which is preventing milk flow through the teat on half of Daisy's udder. So in other words, one side is tight and hard and probably hurts, while the other is normal. Will the one side just bag up and dissapear, leaving her with 1/2 an udder, or is there something else I can do to help her?

Here's Baby #1, you can see the brown on her.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Her butt markings...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Size comparison between baby #1 and baby #2 :

[​IMG]

Baby #2 :

[​IMG]

2. comehomesoon

comehomesoon comehomesoon

Sorry dont know anything about mastitis but those little girls you got are just the cutest!!! Thank you for sharing. Hope baby #1 does ok for ya, do you have names picked out?

3. Caprice Acres

Well, the mastitis is all cleared up, no problem. but it did cause one teat to heal shut, and thus not work. No names yet, though I think I'll be keeping both! For now they're just Baby #1 and Baby #2.

4. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I Love Babies! They are adorable, Congrats...

5. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Too cute, I am always a softie for the littlest ones.

6. Caprice Acres

I was a little off on the count! When she was 'done kidding' yesterday, she was acting normal, standing up, lickin her kid that I left with her. I did reach inside of her and bounced her, though all I could feel was mush. I assumed the thing I felt inside of her was afterbirth and the placentas because it was abnormally mooshy to be a kid and I felt no hooves. We the left her alone till noon today... And we went back out to check on her. Boy was I surprised!
    I went back out and did a head count... There was another little baby goat! He's a very, very light caramel with black and brown trim, as far as I can tell. Then Daisy stood up, and there was the 'afterbirth' that I was feeling. It was a large sundgau doeling, but dead. She wasn't normal. She was shaped right, but all of her was 'mooshy'. Her bones were kinda gooey. She wasn't stiff, either, though she was very cold. Poor girl. I guess she came out head first. The lucky little light caramel must have still had his umbilical attached and everything, till Daisy pushed the dead baby out.
    The odd thing is that Daisy was acting all like "I'm Done!!" No pushing, no uncomfortableness that you would associate with not being done kidding. and it's not like she was sooo tired out that she couldn't push more, she just didn't. So I assumed she was done.
    I gave her 5cc pennicillin sub q and gave the little buckling 1/2 cc. Pictures comin soon!!

7. 3sunz

3sunz Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you are home and able to be there through this! Welcome back! :dance:

8. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Congrats on all the cuties! I'm a sucker for the tiny ones, too, and I love the tricolor look. Can't wait to see your buckling pics, too. I'm sorry to hear about the doeling that didn't make it--that must've been a very unpleasant shock for you. Good luck with all of them, momma and the three babies. I know they're getting good care from you!

9. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

So glad you were home for all the births Dona. Those pygmies always surprise us don't they. Congrats! Those babies are just the cutest. Unusual color, love it.

10. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Congrats on the new babies.. They sure are cute..

Good Luck with them also.