dairy sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by oceandaughter, Oct 13, 2006.

1. oceandaughter

oceandaughter Member

Where can I find more information? What breeds are best? I know nothing so I want to learn all I can and perhaps get a herd started in the spring.

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

East Friesian, undoubtedly, will top the list as far as the best breed to get. Lacaune (which is a French breed) is pretty popular as well. Some folks are milking icelandics for home use, though so far commercial production records aren't that strong. That said, you can milk just about anything that'll stand for it. I milked my suffolk for three seasons, she was a good milker, but didn't have the lactation length that the true dairy breeds do.

It's been found that having 25-50% Friesian will increase your milk production substantially, so you won't need to focus on super high percentages if you can't find them near you. Dorsets and suffolks make nice crosses due to their high solids and output (even if their lacation is shorter.)

Where do you live? So you want sheep only for dairy, or are there other attributes you'd like to see as well. I'm certain we can find someone to sell you some sheep :p

BTW, here's a recent link that may have more information for you:
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=139478

3. oceandaughter

oceandaughter Member

I am in the midwest.

Also, these sheep will be living in the woods so I'm not even absolutely sure I will get them.