Dairy goat question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I would like to get a dairy goat, but have some problems with my hands. If I get one and find that daily milking is too painful, can I turn her back with her kid(s) okay and not worry about mastitis or other udder problems? I'm planning on doing the once a day milking thing to start, so she'll have her kids with her, nursing, already. I won't be trying to re-introduce them.

I'm thinking some of this would depend on breed. Nubians are most available around here, so that's my best option. What else?

Tell your opinions, and remind me of things I'm not considering, please.

Meg

2. Patt

Patt Well-Known Member

Yes that would be fine. That's why a lot of us keep the kids with the moms is so we can take a day off if necessary. :) I also raise them that way because I like them to be more naturally raised by their mothers.
    Patt

3. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

You will need at least 2 goats and if you have a problem with your hands, think Milking Machine! then you can have as many goats as you want! after all they are addicting.

4. My Nubians have a variety of teat sizes; some are much easier to milk than others. For me, the ones with the big, fat teats are very hard on the hands. I suggest you ask to try milking the ones you are interested in, to see how they fit your hands. (Or at least take a good look at the teats. Long teats are nice, but fat teats take more strength.)
    mary

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Good thoughts folks, thanks.

I hadn't thought about the different shapes of teats. I've hand milked lots of cows, but not goats. Our goats were always 'just because' with the excuse that they keep the honeysuckle off the fence. I'll definately check to see if does I'm looking at 'fit' me!

The milking machine is a good idea, but the only (used) one I've seen offered was over $800 for a portable, one goat version. Seems like more than I want to pay. Was that a ridiculous price, and should I have kept looking?

I will certainly have more than one goat out there, but probably only one milker, at least until I see how it is. Who knows, maybe it'll help my hands!

Thanks very much to all of you!
    Meg

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Don't just look to see if the teats fit your hands. Ask to give them a squeeze. Sometimes the orifices are open and the milk can gush out with little pressure. On other does, the orifices are very small and much more pressure and time squeezing are required to get the milk out. It can really make a big difference.

7. 2 acres

2 acres Guest

Hi Meg.

Where about do you live in NC

I live on the northern side in the Piedmont (NC) near the VA boarder. There is a woman in Stonevill that is selling Alpines. (I have Nubians) If you are interested I could see if hers are easy to milk.

Of course I could be to far for you but I thought I'd let you know.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey 2 acres,

I'm about 45 minutes south of Fayetteville, and about five minutes from I-95. Sounds like a day-trip to me. I'm not familiar with alpines. I'd appreciate you checking that for me!

Thanks,
    Meg