Dairy equipment

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rob30, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone have a source for cheaper dairy equipment. My wife wants me to set up a small parlour to milk 5-6 goats at a time. I have found some single milkers on ebay for $750. However I think their must be a more ecinomical way of setting it up.

2. R.Adams

R.Adams Well-Known Member

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

4. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Where did I see an article in the past few months by a man who has 8 goats, made his own milking machine, and milks them all in 35 minutes before he heads for work....Dairy Goat Journal? I'll look it up for you and maybe, if you're handy, you could do that. He puts them all on their stands, starts the first two, washes and feeds the next two, turns the first two loose, starts milking the second pair, etc. Says he runs some dairy wash or soapy water through the lines, then cleans the whole system well when he gets home from work. I'd LOVE to be able to milk all our goaties that quickly, but it isn't going to happen here! Jan in Co

5. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

We milk 10-12 in 45 mins. when we are milking. We purchased a milking machine that will handle 4 goats from a guy getting out of the business. We just hook up 2 at a time though. A good machine will milk out a full udder in 3-4 min. Hubby made a stand to hold 2 girls and they eat while I hook up.Once yours get into a routine they will be waiting at the gate for you and you won't have to go get them. hubby says he will build a stand for 4 this spring but we will see.
    You might search for Ozark Jewels's threads in the archives as she had posted some good pics of her dairy. Or just go to her website she has pics there too. Look in the local Trader or for sale paper as this was how we found ours. It was $900. but almost brand new and we didn't have to buy anything else. Also Hamby Dairy Supplies sometime has a good sale or has trade-ins that they will sell very reasonably. Good luck.

jr05

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

kettle milkers and cut down cow shells with jersey liners. the vac pulsation can be set for higher beats per even up too sheep standards. many milker pumps available as small dairy is dead in ont.. only 1 guy milking 40 head near us now where there were 50 last year! have some kettles here ,can show you how too set two milkers per kettle up. also the sheep head rack that should work for goats

7. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I already have two head gates for the goats. They work well. Seems to be the vacum pump that is hard to come by. I have seen alot of the other pieces around. Mostly for cattle though. I found out a few goat dairies just west of us have closed up. Shipping is to much from Northern Ontario to southern where the market is. I have placed a couple ads, trying to trade off anessential oil business for farm and dairy equipment.

8. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have an old Gast vacuum pump from the 40's. This ran the cow dairy on my FIL's farm. It's doesn't look pretty, but once it was cleaned up and had a new motor added, it's just fine. We use ATF instead of hydraulic oil during the winter. If you're looking for a pump, check with some tractor repair shops. Our local repair shop uses a vac pump to pump the calcium out of tires.

[​IMG]

We had to purchased the bucket, inflations & pulsator. Try www.partsdeptonline.com They have pretty good prices and are willing to help you over the phone.

We freshen between 13-17 each spring, we use 3 milk stands and I can have the milking/watering/feeding & cleaning machine done within a little over an hour, just myself working.