Dairy equipment suppliers?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Hey, I was wondering where everybody gets thier home dairying equipment? My next project is hopefully a nubian goat for milking, but before I get one I would like to get the equipment for milking. I do have a hoegger catalog but it seems overpriced? It seems to me that I can get regular dog stainless steel pails for 1/3-1/4 the price that hoegger wants for the same size. However nowhere else sells the nice strainers (I do have hoegger's mini strainer and filters already) and some of the other equipment.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey, use the cheaper stainless steel pails if they do as good a job. Might as well save money where you can and the goats sure won't care.:) As for other "dairying equipment"....what do you consider neccessary?? For years I milked into a small stainless steel bucket, strained through a square of cheesecloth into 1/2 to 1 gallon glass jars, and put the milk into the fridge. Just depends on what your wanting to do. Of course I buy my milking equipment from different places now that we are running the dairy. The milking eqipment sure is different with this set-up!

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

See Rita's Thread on page one or two regarding milk strainers...take a look at the one she is ordering. Looks nice to me?

4. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Gosh we don't use too many supplies. We did buy a good bucket, strainer and milk discs to fit inside (Caprine) We use cheap but waffled baby wipes (nonflavored!), teat spray and teat tape (self-milker) We strain the milk into 1/2 gallon mason jars and top with lids we ordered from Hoegger. We also ordered our minerals from Hoegger and a weight tape (pretty cool.) We have herbal dewormer from Molly's Herbs at Fiasco Farm and voila. That's it.

Now, we also had to disbud and build a box for that, and build a milking stand. can't function without the milking stand! But that's sort of optional for many milkers. But we are building another stand in the fall for what we hope will be three does in milk.

Vanessa

5. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

I use a really nice stainless steel stock pot for milking. It cost me a whole 6.00 at the dollar store. I do like hoeggers filters though and use them. I use a 1/2 iodine teat dip and my DH built my milk stand. We manage just fine. Everything gets put through the dishwasher to sanitize and they only get used for milking. I sanitize the milk stand daily too.

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Any stainless steal pot will work, but be sure it's seemless. A stock pot works great. I used a big one to milk my holstein cow for a long time.

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

What size stock pot?
    I'm thinking I could get one of those and two lids, then use my dad's nifty saw to cut out part of one of the lids for milking. Those stock pots sound alot cheaper than the 47 and some odd cents that hoegger wants for thier milking bucket!! And I already have a mini strainer and filter disks from there which work great. Where can I get 1/2 gallon jars? And yes, I do have a milking stand that my dad built me... Lovely thing, how did I ever get along without it?
    Then after that, I need to find a goat to actually milk... LOL I've got pygmies which I've decided I'm going to TRY to milk a while this year to get a store of goat milk up so I have it here for bottle feeding next year if needed. Maybe then if I get used to it or good at it I may continue to milk them but I kindof doubt it because thier teats are so dang small and they don't give alot.

8. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

9. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I used the biggest stock pot I had because my cow was giving 3 gallons every AM and another 3 gallons every PM.

For a goat you can use a small pot. I think a 3 or 4 quart pot should be plenty big enough. Get bigger pot that you can fill with ice water, then after milking, set the milking pot into the larger pot to cool the milk fast. - OR - have a pot of ice water ready and quart jars to pour the milk into. Then set the jars in the ice water to cool quickly.

The only thing that is set in stone is to be sure everything is sparkling clean. You can play around with ideas and chose or design a method that works for you. If you try something and it's hard to do, make adjustments until it's easy and you enjoy it.

I buy a few things in 1/2 gallon jars from the local grocery. Clean the jars and you have them for milk. I'm not milking goats yet, but I have saved some jars and things in preparation for the day when I start.

The old gallon jars that I used for cows milk are now used as canisters for beans, making sun tea, etc. 1/2 gallon jars could be used that way also.