Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Sunraven - That's located just NW of Wichita, KS. Suitable equipment for milking 30-70 cows. Only shortcoming is the milker claws have to be carried into milkhouse and set up on the wash manifold for cleaning.
But, if the bid includes all items shown, wouldn't take too many parts scavenged off to get your money back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I seen that's a funny setup to wash but it'd still be good for someone wanting to get started inexpensively. There's been several threads people discussing the feasibility of getting into milking commercially as apposed to for their own home needs and I thought this'd be good for someone wanting to get setup.

If it was closer to me I'd grab it up and part it out but alas, I'm not much interested in heading out all that way and dismantling all that stuff when I don't really need it. I am looking for a few parts and pieces however. Am trying to find an autowash setup and an autowash for the bulk tank for Grandpa's dairy. I've been trying to update his old equipment. So far I have all new (used) Delaval flow view claws, new (new) pulsators for the line, and a fresh/treated cow bucket to replace his old glass surge claws with the pulsator that sat on the claw. Those old things are such a pain! If anyone knew of any wash systems available at a reasonable price I might would be interested. I will actually be heading out west in October, going to a cowdog playday/jackpot in Elk City, OK and side trips can be entertaining.

·
Dairy/Hog Farmer
508 Posts
Up North said:
Sunraven - That's located just NW of Wichita, KS. Suitable equipment for milking 30-70 cows. Only shortcoming is the milker claws have to be carried into milkhouse and set up on the wash manifold for cleaning.
But, if the bid includes all items shown, wouldn't take too many parts scavenged off to get your money back.
You mean there's another way to wash the units? I carry eight units to the milkroom and back everyday,lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What part of 35 are you on? Earlier in the summer I delivered a bunch of pups to OK and on the way back came through KS on 77/177 to Cottonwood Falls to visit Charlie Trayer (http://www.trayerscowdogs.com/)

-Nicole

Up North said:
If you take I35 thru Kansas, swing in for coffee. We're not *too* far off the beaten path.

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
That washing setup actually isn't that old. We had the option to setup using it, but decided to stick with the sink. It would actually run more efficently than the sink, as it keeps things fairly contained. We carry all ours into the milkhouse where they wash. Running water lines costs more, its more to maintain, to save a little time isn't worth it. Especially if you have only 4 claws. Now 6-8-10+ id say you would want a stationary washing setup.

The one thing I dont like about claws like those in the auction (which is over now), is the fact they dont kick off when they fall. They are on, always. The claws I use are the harmonys, and they kick off when they are kicked off. My filter NEVER has anything in it. Even though the parlor floor is rubber, and clean, there some some debris at times. I also like the harmony's rubber inflations, they cut the air off so your dont have to have all 4 sucking before you put them on, light claw too, tons of visibility. Recently at a show I used that same claw in the picture, and didn't like the fact you couldn't see all 4 quarters milking, due to the bowl size.

Jeff

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can get different bowls for those milkers that will shut them off when they hit the ground. $24 each.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, will do. Not sure if I'll be going that way again or not this next trip. I was thinking about buying a young dog from Charlie but I've not made up my mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts